Discuss Understanding Earth/Shock in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gigsy

-
Reaction score
Hi I am studying to become an electrician.

There are a few things I do not fully understand regarding shocks and earth and I cannot find the answers to some of my questions.

Can anyone help me understand the following points regarding a standard TN system.

1) If you are in a loft or a 2nd floor, how can you get a shock from touching a live conductor, does the building structure ground you? if so surly the shock cannot be that bad, surly the resistance of the building should be really high. How does the electricity find a path to earth? The building is wood and brick. Wood and brick have a high resistance. This makes no sense to me.

2) If I stood on a rubber mat (or a different high resistance insulator) can I then touch a live conductor, without getting a shock?

3) Even when you are just standing on the ground, how can there be enough current passing through your body to harm you if you touch a live conductor. I mean The resistance of the earth is reasonably high, the current would have to go through your body then through the earth all the way back to the transformer. Surly not much current would flow. If I touched a light bulb to the line conductor and attached a conductor to the negative of the light bulb, then touched the other end of the conductor to earth, would the bulb light up?

1) if you touch a live conductor then any chance earthing that may exist in contact with you e.g. an earthed metal pipe could present a path to earth and generate enough current to kill. Mainly the resistance path to earth is reasonably high and you only get a minor shock, say less than a couple of mA, not nice but not deadly.
Even wet surfaces in contact with an earthed part may be enough of a path for the shock to hurt.

2) if you are totally insulated from earth (and neutral) then touching the line conductor would not cause a shock. I would never test this in practice as it could be very dangerous if there were an unanticipated path to earth.
Your body would rise to the line potential but there would be no current flow.

3) If you are in contact with ground even though the resistance may be in the thousands of ohms range there will still be enough current flowing to potentially cause death, the effect is made worse by skin contact with the ground and water on the body and / or ground as this reduces the resistance of the earth path.
Even a current of 50mA can kill and this (at a 230V supply) would be generated with a resistance of 4600Ω, well with in the range of earth contact resistance.
A light bulb would require much more current to cause the filament to glow and so (unless there is a low resistance path to earth) it would not light up, an LED lamp might experience enough current to glow. Again do not try connecting a line conductor to earth for safety's sake.
Understanding Earth/Shock Current flow and effects of shock - EletriciansForums.net

well wikipedia says resistance of the soil is between 10 - 1000 ohms per meter, so lets say 500 ohms, smack in the middle.

Say the transformer is 100 meters away. Ohms law current = volts / resistance,
so 500 ohms x 100 meters = 50,000 ohms.

I = 230 / 50,000 = 0.0046A
0.0046 amps is not much

i just dont get it
you could not even light up an LED with 0.0046A, LED's need 0.020 amps to light.

There is something i am not getting

If i am on the 2nd floor or in a loft, how can I get much of a shock? The resistance path is through my body, through the building structure then through the earth to the transformer. That is a massive resistance

Is the part I am not getting is that the current flow uses metal underground pipes to get back to the transformer?

If i am on the 2nd floor or in a loft, how can I get much of a shock? The resistance path is through my body, through the building structure then through the earth to the transformer. That is a massive resistance

How can you be sure no part of the loft is earthed already?
No pipework there? no wiring that is already earthed?
No aerial feed for the TV?
Lots of potential earths around and any damp can help lower the resistance.

Also even if completely isolated touching a high voltage will have some current flow as the potential of your body rises to that of the live conductor. And again a small current when you then touch ground as that potential is released. very small currents but still a current will flow. Think of the human body as a large capacitor.

basically, a 10mA current through you is usually safe.so, yourbody resistance is around 1k ohms, so if the resistance from your body to earth is >22 kohms, you'd survive.

I = V/R

I =230/23000 = 0.01 = 10mA.

higher than that.it's betfred.

bear in mind thebird on a wire. the wire may be 33 kV. the bird is also at 33kV. he sitting pretty, thinking about his next shag. if said bird was earthed , he'd be toast. so bye bye shag.

you say the resistance between your body and earth. But the current still has to get back to the transformer. Why have you not factored in the resistance of the earth to the transformer?

How can you be sure no part of the loft is earthed already?
No pipework there? no wiring that is already earthed?
No aerial feed for the TV?
Lots of potential earths around and any damp can help lower the resistance.

Also even if completely isolated touching a high voltage will have some current flow as the potential of your body rises to that of the live conductor. And again a small current when you then touch ground as that potential is released. very small currents but still a current will flow. Think of the human body as a large capacitor.

So it is the various different paths back to the transformer that I am not factoring in?

well wikipedia says resistance of the soil is between 10 - 1000 ohms per meter, so lets say 500 ohms, smack in the middle.

Say the transformer is 100 meters away. Ohms law current = volts / resistance,
so 500 ohms x 100 meters = 50,000 ohms.

There is something i am not getting

The current won't flow through the ground all the way back to the TX it will always find the path of least resistance.

The current may flow through the Ground first but then when it finds a better earth eg consumers earth rod, underground metal pipework that's bonded inside a house or one of the thousands of suppliers earths not located at the transformer it'll flow more easily.

If what you are thinking was true there wouldn't be as many deaths due to electrocution as there is.

One of the problems is, that you don't need a high current to kill.
6mA across the heart is enough to stop it.
If you are stood outside on some damp grass and were to pick up the wet severed end of a live cable, the current would not be enough to trip the breaker or fuse, but it would be enough to kill after a short period of time.

The resistance back to the transformer through the earth can cover a very large volume and so is not just based on the one square meter of soil you are considering. The pinch point is the contact area with earth, thereafter the effective resistance is very low because of the large volume through which the current can pass and any conductive paths within the earth.

If you consider an earth rod may provide a resistance of 100 ohms from 1.2m rod the sphere of influence of that rod is very large.

The current won't flow through the ground all the way back to the TX it will always find the path of least resistance.

The current may flow through the Ground first but then when it finds a better earth eg consumers earth rod, underground metal pipework that's bonded inside a house or one of the thousands of suppliers earths not located at the transformer it'll flow more easily.

If what you are thinking was true there wouldn't be as many deaths due to electrocution as there is.

Thank you.

I do understand that people do get killed by electricity, I just didn't understand why.

So is it because we our systems that causes the lethal situation?

Originally it was expected that electricity would not flow through the earth as they were all insulated from earth, but then in practice it was found that there were always partial accidental earth paths present to cause electric shock. Therefore the design of electrical systems was modified to provide very good earthing and a means of disconnecting the fault quickly to avoid these problems, this has developed to the system we have today.

The resistance back to the transformer through the earth can cover a very large volume and so is not just based on the one square meter of soil you are considering. The pinch point is the contact area with earth, thereafter the effective resistance is very low because of the large volume through which the current can pass and any conductive paths within the earth.

If you consider an earth rod may provide a resistance of 100 ohms from 1.2m rod the sphere of influence of that rod is very large.

I just do not understand :(

I kind of understand, I think, The larger the CSA of a conductor the less the resistance.

So are you saying that I have to treat the entire earth as its CSA?

If so then it all makes slightly more sense to me.

basically, a 10mA current through you is usually safe.so, yourbody resistance is around 1k ohms, so if the resistance from your body to earth is >22 kohms, you'd survive.

I = V/R

I =230/23000 = 0.01 = 10mA.

higher than that.it's betfred.

bear in mind thebird on a wire. the wire may be 33 kV. the bird is also at 33kV. he sitting pretty, thinking about his next shag. if said bird was earthed , he'd be toast. so bye bye shag.
Is that the sea bird Shag?

1 & 3 have been answered for you Gigsy, but in answer to number 2; in theory no, but in practice, expect a nice belt as that live conductor treats your body as a rather hefty capacitor.

One example of this you can see happening in real life. Head on to YouTube and watch videos of helicopter linesmen in the US mounting high voltage power cables wearing faraday cages. They still have to attach a discharge protector before they mount the cable from the helicopter despite the fact that there is no potential difference (atmospheric discharge is also at play here as well as capacitance).

This question puzzled me very early on in my career when I was stood on a fibreglass ladder wearing trainers with insulated soles and still got a belt from a live conductor (it was the only lesson I ever needed to take safe isolation seriously!).

Theory is all very well, but you need to understand that the theory you get taught at college and read in textbooks is about as basic as it comes. In practice, it goes out the window, because things are much more complex than initially thought.

As for your guesswork regarding the resistance of earth per meter, you haven't factored in to the equation that at any point you're more often than not mere feet away from a vast network of underground metallic structures all interconnected and all ultimately leading back to the point of origin.

When you get a shock in the loft and all you're standing on is a wooden beam? Well also attached to that wooden beam a few inches from your feet remember is bonded metal pipework, or the earthed metallic conduit of a switch drop.

To summarise:

Make sure the bloody circuit is dead!

There is a big flaw in many calculations here, to realise these results the resistance would have to be maintained throughout the shock but in reality once the electricity has breached the bodies resistance you end up with a crash of resistive values of the skin, couple this with the fact that if the current flow travels through the heart then even 1mA can trigger fibrillation and kill you.

Using maths to work out a survival chance is very crude considering the variables and the concept that electricity flow will break down the resistance of the body as it flows, so with all respect to standard mains voltage, you have to realise that regardless of whether your in a loft sat on the wooden rafter or stood on the actual earth it does not mean you will survive one and not the other, the many variables including duration, voltage, current path, your health, humidity etc etc all play a vital role.

Reply to Understanding Earth/Shock in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock