Discuss unidentified circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
did a cu upgrade on a house the other day but could not identify 1 16a radial circuit. The old board was not labelled and the owners were no help. I searched high and low for it and the house was also full of junk which didn't help. What do others do in this situation ?

Disconnect it at the cu then it becomes a spare circuit on your schedule. Easy enough to pop it back in if they find something not working.

I often find these old circuits which very often turn out to be cut off inside a stud wall, or terminated in a JB under the floor. I tape them up with a label "not in use" and tuck them out of the way inside the CU.
As already said, if it becomes apparent that something isn't working, then it's easy to reconnect.

Suspect old immersion supply is the most common redundant circuit found as more and more houses use combi-boilers ...as above disconnect -you'll usually find out soon enough if something dont work.

Yep leave it disconnected and if its missed you will get a call and always check if it is the old immersion as I have changed it in the past to a single socket

If you dont know the destination of the circuit then always best to disconnect it... if its a floating live wire in the loft, studding or under the floor its may be a potential hazard to someone .... leaving it connected will invite it been re-energised next time a mcb trips the normal customer reactions is turn everything back on ....on tat thought i always disconnect and double check any safety or security system isn't de-energised.

Agreed if you don't know where it terminates then don't connect plus as I said you may get a call 2 years later saying we moved the wardrobe and found a double socket behind it or you could get a call saying was up the attic and got a shock when I picked up what looked like a length of cable . I connect these to a bit o connector block and label it as unknown

As most of said leave disconnected mark cable up in CU as unknown and explain to customer to check that ever thing is working over the next though weeks,:75: Just double check there is nothing like sump pump in the cellar or garden that might not get noticed until it over flows

i always disconnect an unidentifiable circuit, as above label as unknown and make a note on page 2, tell the punter too,it covers your backside and its no trouble to reinstate if they find something doesnt work.

Reply to unidentified circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock