Discuss University Degree Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am a fully qualified and accredited electrician with a thirst for knowledge.

I am looking at doing a part time university degree, but would like some ideas on which subject.

Apart from waiting for the 18th edition next summer, is their a higher level a sparky can achieve.

My lecturer at college was a sparky with a maths degree

I did some maths courses with the OU a few years back when injured and had to leave the forces. they are great. very well explained and complex things become very easy understood due to the teaching methods. i only did the first year.
Have friends in forces who have done technology courses with them and covered AI, robotics and all sorts of engineering stuff. if you put the work in then you can do a full engineering qualification.
the country is crying out for engineers apparently. so technology, engineering and maths i would say are the best options.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

There is as Gavin John Hyde said a shortage of engineers. Relevant to an electrician is the shortage of power engineers.

see: https://cdn.selinc.com/assets/Liter...hortage_JP_20071026_Web.pdf?v=20151202-135825

and

http://www.power.nsacademy.co.uk/si...n the UKs electricity generation industry.pdf

Energy engineer job profile | Prospects.ac.uk - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/energy-engineer

Try not to study too narrow a range of electrical engineering in order that your degree provides some broadening of your knowledge and expertise and thereby employability.

Hi dude,respect due,for your enthusiastic quest for betterment,but,the 18th,is not a "higher level" ;)

I would aim for a wider ranging addition,to your existing quals,and engineering is a good call. As mentioned,don't be too restrictive,with your aims,unless they are a pathway to a specific job.

As an aside,i was listening to some ex-uni students,the other day,as they mused over the halcyon days of 5 years fee-less fun,doing a hotel and hospitality decorating degree,with a years holiday,thrown in...:rolleyes:

It was the same wistful reminiscing,i heard,regarding the passing of indentured apprenticeships with a job for life,some 20 years previous...

I reckon it is a good thing,during the vital space between leaving school,and inserting oneself in a career,that consideration is given to a desired result,and the education specific,to that end.

The nature of the OP's post,would suggest that forward thinking,and i salute you :)

I started my apprenticeship in 96 with NG Bailey. We did C & G 1 + 2 as the requirement for a spark. The people with good grades were then put forward for the part C. Then if you did good a BTEC Building Services. Then it was a degree BEng Building Services.

The Building services gives you the Mech & Elec knowledge and sets you up for all manner of office roles with/without site visits etc.. You can go the design route, consultancy or just project managing.

Reply to University Degree Advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock