Discuss Unknown installation method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening guys and gals. On your generic schedule of test results after completing a consumer unit swap, what do you put for installation method if you are unsure. For instance, the house I have completed today is all stud wall, it didnt appear to contain rock wool to the internal walls but it could have. Do I make my best estimate and pick the worse case scenario? Any advice appreciated.

Erring on the side of caution by derating the cable and ending with a smaller ccc will ensure safety all round. I suspect that you don't have to overdo it though as long as the ccc is rated down from clipped direct or at least method 100 then you've been professional about it.

Professional guess though. Wouldn't it be more professional to say I don't actually know because I didnt install it and all the cables are concealed in walls.

How does it work out with reference to the OCPD rating? Safe? I've not done enough EICRs to give you an exact answer. You may have to wait for the pubs to close for more experienced advice! I'll be watching with you. Hope the answer comes.

If you are changing a consumer unit then there it is very unlikely that your work will be installing cables in anything other than the consumer unit.
Therefore for the work you are doing there is no applicable reference method.
When you are completing the schedule of test results this would generally be not verified (NV) unless it is obvious where the cables are run.
Cables in a loft would often be covered in insulation and other than that in a domestic property the worst case scenario would be A or B, both of which should be easy to identify so the default would be C.
Lighting on 1mm² cable and buried in insulation will have a CCC of 8A so will be safe for use on a 6A breaker.

If you are changing a consumer unit then there it is very unlikely that your work will be installing cables in anything other than the consumer unit.
Therefore for the work you are doing there is no applicable reference method.
When you are completing the schedule of test results this would generally be not verified (NV) unless it is obvious where the cables are run.
Cables in a loft would often be covered in insulation and other than that in a domestic property the worst case scenario would be A or B, both of which should be easy to identify so the default would be C.
Lighting on 1mm² cable and buried in insulation will have a CCC of 8A so will be safe for use on a 6A breaker.

Thanks Richard

My NICEIC assessor said N/V was totally acceptable as it is the truth. If you can see it all well and good otherwise it's N/V
I have to agree otherwise it is like writing out an EIC for someone elses install. I don't know if the installer cable tied all his cables together and strapped them to the central heating pipes under the floorboards so I would be taking a grave risk stating the installation method.

Reply to Unknown installation method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock