Discuss Unwanted double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevieh

I've removed stud walls between two first floor bedrooms to create one large room.
The double socket outlet that was on the stud wall is now just sticking up through the floor.
What is the safe way to remove it?

with the circuit isolated, take the cables out, pull back under floor, join with wagos in an enclosure. if they won't pull out, then cut under floor and strip and join as previous.

Last edited:
You could just use a sharp shovel and slice the cables flush with floorboards? But Telectrix solution is probably more sensible. You could even get an electrician in, to do the job more safely & professionally. You could take up the flooring for the electrician if you wanted to save a few penny's. Sparky might even be able remove offending cables by rewiring the circuit..

I've removed stud walls between two first floor bedrooms to create one large room.
The double socket outlet that was on the stud wall is now just sticking up through the floor.
What is the safe way to remove it?

Consult a local spark? Internet advice isn't always the best.

think OP has had good advice here. if he's competent to do it, then fine. if he's not, then employ a spark. sssimplessss.

I'm in Keswick on my hols at the moment, if you have a shovel I could pop over. Seriously though, it partly depends on how many cables are at this socket and what floor covering is going over it as it will probably be classed as inaccessible if in the middle of the room in my view. Get a local spark in; would probably only take an hour ish to sort out properly.

Yep, cheers for that. Very useful stuff.
There have been quite a few sarcastic responses to this, for obvious reasons. If the OP has to ask such a question then the only conclusion is that he needs to get a spark in to do it. If I was to be more useful I could have made many suggestions but there is no point is there? I wasn't inferring anything about your competency at all, I think you missed the irony.

There have been quite a few sarcastic responses to this, for obvious reasons. If the OP has to ask such a question then the only conclusion is that he needs to get a spark in to do it. If I was to be more useful I could have made many suggestions but there is no point is there? I wasn't inferring anything about your competency at all, I think you missed the irony.
that reminds me. time to wake the missus up. there's a tub full of ironing to be done.

Me and GO both - I missed the point of your response too. As for the 'if he's got to ask he needs a spark' - I've asked loads of questions on this forum, perhaps I should get a job flipping burgers instead.

Me and GO both - I missed the point of your response too. As for the 'if he's got to ask he needs a spark' - I've asked loads of questions on this forum, perhaps I should get a job flipping burgers instead.
don't think with your knowledge to date that you would need to ask a question as per the OP. as far as i have read your previous posts, any questions that you , personally . have put to the forum, have been sensible, well thought out posts commensurate with your trainee level. respect.

don't think with your knowledge to date that you would need to ask a question as per the OP. as far as i have read your previous posts, any questions that you , personally . have put to the forum, have been sensible, well thought out posts commensurate with your trainee level. respect.
Cheers tel - but my point is I only ask questions in subjects I'm not exactly competent in, otherwise what'd be the point in asking questions?

The OP apparently has a degree in electronics, so I'd assume a certain level of competency exists with him? He might have an idea how to do it already, but perhaps is just seeking advice as there may be a better way - for example he might have intention to use a JB but then gets advice to use a MF fitting. I guess I just don't agree with the attitude 'if he's got to ask then he shouldn't be asking' - statements like that are a generalisation that applies to more members than just the 'incompetent' OP.

Reply to Unwanted double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net