Discuss Upgrading earthing conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am in the process of pricing a DB change for a customer and am a little unsure as to what to do with the earthing conductor. The system is TT and the earthing conductor looks to be 6mm, tails are 16mm with a Ze of 47.7ohms. The main protective bonding conductors have already been upgraded to 10mm, as a stair lift has recently been installed and i assume it was done at this time by whoever carried out that work. The earthing conductor is not buried but where it is terminated to the rod it is protected against corrosion. And shows no signs of thermal damage. A quick look in the regs tells me that the minimum csa that would be allowed is 4mm. As i am bringing the DB upto current regs should i do the same dor the earthing or am i creating more work for myself and cost for my customer.

I am in the process of pricing a DB change for a customer and am a little unsure as to what to do with the earthing conductor. The system is TT and the earthing conductor looks to be 6mm, tails are 16mm with a Ze of 47.7ohms. The main protective bonding conductors have already been upgraded to 10mm, as a stair lift has recently been installed and i assume it was done at this time by whoever carried out that work. The earthing conductor is not buried but where it is terminated to the rod it is protected against corrosion. And shows no signs of thermal damage. A quick look in the regs tells me that the minimum csa that would be allowed is 4mm. As i am bringing the DB upto current regs should i do the same dor the earthing or am i creating more work for myself and cost for my customer.
If protected against corrosion and is mechanically protected you can go as low as 2.5mm in a TT so you may as well leave it.

Last edited:

Reply to Upgrading earthing conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net