Discuss Upgrading electrical systems in Buckinham Palace. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dmxtothemax

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
There is a funny story going around at the moment about this topic,
Quite funny actually, - Buckingham Palace repairs INCREASE TO £900m after electrician ‘takes a butchers’ - http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/buckingham-palace-repairs-increase-to-900m-after-electrician-takes-a-butchers/

But I was curious how much would be involved in doing so ?
A large building by any standards
And the practicalities of dealing with heirlooms and priceless rooms
And also what would be needed to bring it up to code
Quite a job I would imagine
some of the old electrical equipment could be interesting.

comments please _

It's a good job HRH Prince Charles wasn't involved the place would be awash with 5wws and Princes Trust Bob doing it on the cheap, mind you that would save the Tax payer some dosh in the short term. Can you imagine a post on here " worried Phillip" I say folks just had my hais rewired by some lads, bit of a mess, awfully glad if someone could pop around to take a look, big hais at the end of the Mall, (no I haven't spelt house wrong just trying to spell it as the nobs say it)

I don't touch occupied rewires - I wonder if they could perhaps go on holiday whilst I crack on with it!

It will be an interesting project, would be good for anyone's cv.
Bet it's all going to be MICC only those with experience need apply,
Nick Knowles and his motley crew will do it whilst giving a gut churning story of the unfortunate circumstances of the householder.
What Billy doing the lectrics, I think not, maybe get Holmes on Homes in to do it?

It would be a right chore working with all the posh kids, most of em have no discipline do what they want. I remember working in a posh gaff, the owner was some sort of Scottish Clan leader, kids were a nightmare, one of the little brats wouldn't leave my tools alone, so I committed the cardinal sin, clipped his earhole off he went bawling to his Mother who was more interested in her G&T than the rug rat, never did work for them again, it was in the early 90s.

Im in the south east and I would happily do the 90 min commute if this turned out to be micc for X years work. I did a block of flats just across the road from her's if that counts ? Funny aside - we all used to retire to the roof of said flats for lunch break as it was a nice hot summer that year. One day the housekeeper or whatever he was (Guy who did everything and opened doors for us ect) mentioned in passing not to go on the roof today. As he said it something else took his attention so it was unanimously decided that he was just talking himself up a bit to sound important and we all trooped off up to roof at midday. Funny enough someone had mentioned something about a state visit blah blah...lol. Opened door to roof and there were about 5 quite surprised armed coppers up there....STOP RIGHT THERE !!!.....
It was all ok after about 30 seconds as we were ushered off the roof and asked didn't the housekeeper inform you we were up here and this is off limits today....Oh no sir not even seen him today...as we all scuttled off back down to the basement in super quick time.
Funny old place that was. No drilling before 9am. No drilling after 4pm. No weekend working....basically don't annoy the neighbors. I do remember the guys having a job running in new mains cables...having to dig up pavement and road...but quietly lol.
Qualifications - I have installed probably hundreds of mils of micc in all it's size's, Security clearance for house of commons when i did a bit there, security cleared for an mod facility...oh yes and security clearance for the channel tunnel lol. None of which in my opinion makes a blind bit of difference .....Ok there were no "events" at any of those jobs but im still not convinced that the background check actually prevented anything...who knows lol.....
Another little aside - I know someone quite well who actually smuggled his mate into the channel tunnel and back out again each day for 6 weeks as it took so long for the fella to get his clearance. You may ask how with all the super tight security he managed this ? Well he lay under a dust sheet in the back of the van....Meh to high security lol.

Should ones wiring consist of bare copper wire on porcelean insulators ? Should one use his knob or his tube?
Bet theres loads of historic gear in there leclanche cell signals etc.

Reply to Upgrading electrical systems in Buckinham Palace. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net