Discuss Upgrading garage supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TallPaul

Just to head of the usual comments, I am not an electrician and I will be getting one in to get this work done - disclaimer aside there is a lot of knowledge here and I wanted to get some feedback so when I get some quotes I can be clear what I want.

Detached garage is currently fed on its own 16A breaker from main board on 2.5mm T&E inside and SWA outside, fine for current use (although air compressor sometimes trips and I loose the lights which is annoying) but in future I want to get a 6.6kW/~32A charger for electric car added, and it would be ideal if I could locate the solar inverter (very!) shortly being installed in the garage (5Kw) to save space and give flexibility in future for adding battery storage both of which require more capacity than I have now.

I am thinking best option would be to split tails in the meter cupboard, new SWA via some protection at meter end to the garage and a new board to give more capacity now and spare for the future. Lights can then be separated from sockets as a plus, with capacity for EV charger and inverter.

Simple as that? Anything else I should consider?

Based on my non-qualified understanding, I should be seeing 6mm or 10mm SWA cable I believe on quotes? Inverter loading is in opposite direction to the EV charger so max load remains 6.6Kw in the dark for EV charger, no charging on high summer is still 5Kw into grid other way worst case.

Sorry for the delay TallPaul, it seems to have been a busy day for all the staff, I have approved your post now for feedback, you may be given DIY status by Admin when they are next on line, this is to show members you are not a trained Electrician and they can then tailor their answers to suit :)

Just to head of the usual comments, I am not an electrician and I will be getting one in to get this work done - disclaimer aside there is a lot of knowledge here and I wanted to get some feedback so when I get some quotes I can be clear what I want.

Detached garage is currently fed on its own 16A breaker from main board on 2.5mm T&E inside and SWA outside, fine for current use (although air compressor sometimes trips and I loose the lights which is annoying) but in future I want to get a 6.6kW/~32A charger for electric car added, and it would be ideal if I could locate the solar inverter (very!) shortly being installed in the garage (5Kw) to save space and give flexibility in future for adding battery storage both of which require more capacity than I have now.

I am thinking best option would be to split tails in the meter cupboard, new SWA via some protection at meter end to the garage and a new board to give more capacity now and spare for the future. Lights can then be separated from sockets as a plus, with capacity for EV charger and inverter.

Simple as that? Anything else I should consider?

Based on my non-qualified understanding, I should be seeing 6mm or 10mm SWA cable I believe on quotes? Inverter loading is in opposite direction to the EV charger so max load remains 6.6Kw in the dark for EV charger, no charging on high summer is still 5Kw into grid other way worst case.

Depends on length of run and volt drop, as you apparently have limited knowledge why spec yourself? Quotes from competent contractors will include a design of what is required.

As already said a contractor visiting to quote would be far better placed to spec the job as he can see it all and he would not want us second guessing him with limited info. Unless you mean, you really want to do it yourself, then just say so as you will need more help with it.

Thanks for approving post, did wonder where it went.

Dont want to do it myself, not the purpose of the question. I was more seeking opinions based on experience such as only plan for 6.6kw load, or consider full board so whatever happens in future the feed does not need upgrading.

I always like to understand requirement when getting quotes, otherwise you get varied answers and they are not comparable - and in some cases inadaquate (this could apply to any trade i would add!)

Thanks for approving post, did wonder where it went.

Dont want to do it myself, not the purpose of the question. I was more seeking opinions based on experience such as only plan for 6.6kw load, or consider full board so whatever happens in future the feed does not need upgrading.

I always like to understand requirement when getting quotes, otherwise you get varied answers and they are not comparable - and in some cases inadaquate (this could apply to any trade i would add!)

I would ask the people quoting, by email the questions you have!

Just make sure that the cable is sized for the correct volt drop when the solar PV is generating. I believe this is 1% against the usual 3% for a lighting load. May give a much bigger cable size than you might otherwise expect.

Disclaimer: I am not a PV expert!

Reply to Upgrading garage supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net