Discuss UPS spec - help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Morning all, and happy Friday!

I've been asked my advice on what UPS would be suitable to run an ICT machine (ICT=In Circuit Test, it's machine that tests electronic PCB assemblies).

Now it is fed from a standard 3 phase supply, but I am confused a little by the rating plate - I've attached a picture (hopefully!) of the plate. Looks like it will need a standard 3 phase UPS rated at 35A, but the lower part of the spec plate shows 220V 18A, even though the 3 phase box is ticked.

Any thoughts? Apologies if my inexperience on these things is showing!

Cheers,
Daz

View attachment 35599

View attachment 35600

Yeah, that's confusing.

Can you get them to run it up and put a clamp on around each line? (Or how many phases you find when you open it up.)

Last edited:
....and the last time I had to spec a UPS I just called APC UK. Got them to do the donkey work.

That's some serious cash though, especially if the machine needs to finish its full cycle. Could be a long run time at high load.

Last edited:
I'd say the top half of the plate shows possibilities and maximums whilst the bottom half shows 'as configured'.

But I agree with @LeeH clamp it to confirm and get APC doing the donkey work for you. I've found them very helpful in the past when I've had to source server room UPSs.

....and the last time I had to spec a UPS I just called APC UK. Got them to do the donkey work.

That's some serious cash though, especially if the machine needs to finish its full cycle. Could be a long run time at high load.

Yeah I imagine it's going to cost some. Will get them to ask APC I think. Cheers.

I'd say the top half of the plate shows possibilities and maximums whilst the bottom half shows 'as configured'.

But I agree with @LeeH clamp it to confirm and get APC doing the donkey work for you. I've found them very helpful in the past when I've had to source server room UPSs.

I think you are probably right - didn't expect such a big difference in the 2 figures though. I will get them to see what APC say - should be easy enough for them eh!

Cheers,
Daz

At those sort of loads it might be a UPS and backup generator depending on the run time and resilience required

There's a backup genny but the machine drops out and has to go through a re-start process before the genny can start up. Often get short duration drop-outs (a bit out in the sticks!). UPS wouldn't need to run for more than 10 minutes I reckon.

Already read it :) It still didn't clarify the spec plate completely though, unless I didn't read it properley!

Daz

There's a backup genny but the machine drops out and has to go through a re-start process before the genny can start up. Often get short duration drop-outs (a bit out in the sticks!). UPS wouldn't need to run for more than 10 minutes I reckon.
Changes the OP a bit then, having said that is the generator man enough to run what is connected to it seen a lot of sites expand beyond the generators capability and one of them was a hospital

Changes the OP a bit then, having said that is the generator man enough to run what is connected to it seen a lot of sites expand beyond the generators capability and one of them was a hospital

Yes, the genny is up to the job and has a suitavbly large fuel reservoir.
Daz

Morning all, and happy Friday!

I've been asked my advice on what UPS would be suitable to run an ICT machine (ICT=In Circuit Test, it's machine that tests electronic PCB assemblies).

Now it is fed from a standard 3 phase supply, but I am confused a little by the rating plate - I've attached a picture (hopefully!) of the plate. Looks like it will need a standard 3 phase UPS rated at 35A, but the lower part of the spec plate shows 220V 18A, even though the 3 phase box is ticked.

Any thoughts? Apologies if my inexperience on these things is showing!

Cheers,
Daz

View attachment 35599

View attachment 35600
Are talking about a "no break" setup?

It doesn't tolerate 'unclean' mains failures and has suffered before causing production down time (£££).
I've also suggested maybe some sort of power conditioning/surge arrestor.

Daz

It doesn't tolerate 'unclean' mains failures and has suffered before causing production down time (£££).
I've also suggested maybe some sort of power conditioning/surge arrestor.

Daz
You require a "floating" system which means it will be permanently using the ups output so there is no loss on mains failure.

Reply to UPS spec - help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net