Discuss upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits in one switch coding in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

the lght at the bottom of the stairs is on down lights the light at top of stairs is on up lights,both switched from 2 gang switch,i would have had the bottom light on with up lights or vica versa

Depends on who and what light was last switched, to ascertain the position of the switch dolly one of them would be a 2 way wouldn't it??????????

???? when you turn off down lights the light at bottom of stairs goes off,while 2 way light at top of stairs stays on,hence 2 circuits from same two gang switch at bottom of stairs
Depends on who and what light was last switched, to ascertain the position of the switch dolly one of them would be a 2 way wouldn't it??????????

???? when you turn off down lights the light at bottom of stairs goes off,while 2 way light at top of stairs stays on,hence 2 circuits from same two gang switch at bottom of stairs

Not a problem then. it's been that way for yonks.

Nothing wrong with having two Lives at a light switch, just make sure that it is marked up on the CU "upstairs lights, downstairs lights". If the next person is working on the upstairs ceiling rose, guess what MCB he needs to turn off??? If working on the light switch he needs to turn off both!

I install up and down stairs hallway lights separate as standard, have done for ages. Never had any problems.

As the regs covers domestic, commercial and Industrial and the same regs are applicable to all 3 then those isolated to domestic work only, often do query such set-ups when they first come across them, in commercial and industrial world it is common for different phases to be present in one bank on switches, this is common practice and as no voltage to earth exceeds 230v then no labling required.

As already mentioned, safe Isolation and confirmation using appropriate testers would mean that there isn't any inherent risk in this method and as we are not here to argue Darwins theory of natural selection, I don't see anything wrong with multiple circuits or phases in the same switch.

Last edited:
Could you just imagine the visual "looks" of 2 side by side 1G switches in all our houses if you can't have 2 circuits in 1 enclosure.

If muppets can't work out to isolate both circuits, they shouldn't be undoing the screws!

there would be need for 2 x 1 gang switches side by side as you mentioned it was wired correctly in the first place
Could you just imagine the visual "looks" of 2 side by side 1G switches in all our houses if you can't have 2 circuits in 1 enclosure.

If muppets can't work out to isolate both circuits, they shouldn't be undoing the screws!

there would be need for 2 x 1 gang switches side by side as you mentioned it was wired correctly in the first place

Hum... I can switch our hall and landing lights on and off from 4 locations - they are on different circuits - these circuits are wired correctly IMHO

wasted as a electrician should be a comedian :lol:

Entered into a comedian competition once and got knocked out at the first stage for a joke about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis...... How did I know that Stephen Hawkings was one of the judges????

I'll get my coat...... :behead:

What the hell is this post all about I feel like I am living in a parallel universe. Anyone who has ever worked on domestic knows that there are all manner of weird and wonderful setups for lighting circuits, it's just par for the course. As long as basic procedures are followed along with safe isolation just crack on. Like someone said, if you can't get your head round it don't take the sodding screws out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits in one switch coding in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net