Discuss Upstairs lighting circuit drawing using 60 watts everything switched off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just received an electricity monitor and noticed an anomaly in my upstairs lightning circuit. Basically even with every appliance in this circuit (that i know of) 6 x lights and 2 x extractor fans being switched off the circuit is still using 60w?

Any suggestions whats using this 60w?

Thanks

Welcme to the forum :)

Where have you fitted the monitor, it may be picking up items on standby, timeclocks, PIR monitors on outside lights etc, these all tot up.

Thanks for the replys,

The monitor is portable but fitted in my utility room for just now. I have isolated all other circuits at my circuit breaker which rules out timeclocks, outside lights etc as a source. My loft right is ran from a socket and off.

As far as im aware only items i have on this 'upstairs lightning circuit' are 6 x lights and 2 x extractor fans.

Hi thanks for the replys, loft light is ran off a socket and is off. the monitor is portable but in utility, i have isolated all other circuits at breaker which rules out possiblity of outside lights etc. In the 'upstairs lighting circuit' i have 4 bedroom lights, 2 toilet lights and 2 extractor fans.

Just curious as I have never had anything to do with them, how does it single out the upstairs lighting circuit.
Do they monitor every circuit, or are you just turning the breakers off.

Just curious as I have never had anything to do with them, how does it single out the upstairs lighting circuit.
Do they monitor every circuit, or are you just turning the breakers off.

We had an Owl meter - the sensor went round the tails by the meter so its reading the entire load of the house.

Hi thanks for the replys, loft light is ran off a socket and is off. the monitor is portable but in utility, i have isolated all other circuits at breaker which rules out possiblity of outside lights etc. In the 'upstairs lighting circuit' i have 4 bedroom lights, 2 toilet lights and 2 extractor fans.

Landing light with a 60 lamp?

Cheers murdoch, i think you may have cracked it. I have 2 mains powered smoke alarms (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs). Also, I can confirm the two of them are synced together but unsure if they are wired or wirlesses linked.

Cheers murdoch, i think you may have cracked it. I have 2 mains powered smoke alarms (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs). Also, I can confirm the two of them are synced together but unsure if they are wired or wirelesses linked.

Do the green lights remain on with all the other circuits switches off?

BTW there is a "thanks" and "like" button in each reply, so please use these!

Yes green lights on both remain on when all circuits switched off. Confirm both are in 'upstairs lightning' circuit.

If the smoke alarms don't feel warm to the touch, they won't be consuming more than a watt or two each. Any more than this and you'd feel it.

Given that you can run a smoke alarm on a PP3 battery for more than a year, I wouldn't expect a mains one to consume more than a watt.

Last edited:

Reply to Upstairs lighting circuit drawing using 60 watts everything switched off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net