Discuss Urgent Question about fire risk following leak in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Abigail2016

hello,

Our bathroom was installed professionally 4 weeks ago in a 1st floor flat, tonight our neighbour from the flat below came upstairs and advised us that water was leaking through 3 of his light fittings. I've captured it on video. The plumber came out and fixed the leak, however, we are concerned about whether we need an electrician to review whether the light fittings in our neighbours flat are safe following this leak. It was quite a drastic leak (the lights looked like water features).

We are wondering whether this needs urgently reviewing tonight or whether it would keep until tomorrow providing our neighbours keeps his lights switched off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Abbie

Turn the whole lighting circuit off at the fuse board for now and get someone in monday to drop the lights down the examine them.

i would advise leaving the affected lights turned off would suffice. however, if the flat has RCD protection fitted, it could still cause tripping problems

Agree with the above, somehow any affected fittings need to be safely removed and allowed to dry out. It shouldn't be too much of a problem but some parts may need replacing due to corrosion problems.

Thank you everybody for your help, we'll let our neighbour know tonight and get an electrician to come and check it out properly to ensure its safe. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! Thanks again.

What sort of light fittings are they ?? you've not said in post are we assuming downlights in the bathroom on the floor below yours or pendants in other rooms below as they are the weakest point you said have video.

just as a thought - are there any signs that the water has spread and run down a wall anywhere?

Hello, yes it ended up running down a wall in our neighbours kitchen (room next to bathroom) and down the wall in his hallway. I have a video but it won't allow me to attach it on here as the file is too big.

What sort of light fittings are they ?? you've not said in post are we assuming downlights in the bathroom on the floor below yours or pendants in other rooms below as they are the weakest point you said have video.

It won't let me upload the video on this forum but the water was pouring out of a pendant light (I'd guess) in the hallway, and out of circular spotlights in the bathroom ceiling. It also leaked down the walls from the ceiling.

Reply to Urgent Question about fire risk following leak in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net