• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Urgently Wanted: 2 x Wylex 4-Way Dark Grey Fuse Covers in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm looking for 2 x Wylex 4-way fuse covers in dark grey.

I've searched the Internet in the hope of finding some, but haven't had any joy. If anyone has any of these covers going spare, please get in touch. I'll cover your postage costs and make a donation to your drinking fund.
:D

Urgently Wanted: 2 x Wylex 4-Way Dark Grey Fuse Covers {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

How many of these have we chucked over years??

I'll have a look on the scrap, but don't think we've taken one out recently so I doubt you'll be in luck.

How many of these have we chucked over years??

I'll have a look on the scrap, but don't think we've taken one out recently so I doubt you'll be in luck.

I'm going to start saving these old boards the next time I do a consumer unit changeover or rewire. If I can't actually use any of the parts, I could always sell them for ridiculously high sums of money and retire early.

While searching on eBay earlier tonight, I was astonished to find covers for old Wylex 1-way and 2-way boards on sale for £11.00 and £12.00 respectively.:astonished:

Dick Turpin, eat your heart out!

An EICR was recently done on the property and the inspector gave the item a C2 code stating: "Enclosure not damaged/deteriorated so as to impair safety (621.2(iii)) is in a potentially dangerous condition" - replacement fuse cover required.

The owner will be letting the property in the next few weeks or so, and has hired me to carry-out remedial work. He asked me to see if I could find a replacement cover. I told him I would look, but that I wasn't hopeful of finding one. He's concerned that a curious child might poke a finger through the gap around the fuses and the front cover.

The C2 is unwarranted. The front, even with the cover missing, is IP2X which is the current standard of IP protection for the fronts of enclosures against live parts.

Is that the only issue that needs addressing to make this EICR satisfactory ?
Is there RCD protection for socket outlets and bathroom locations ?

^^ missing the removable cover off that style of fuse board - a C2????????? not for me unless little fingers can get at the live copper inside...

I agree with you both. I did try to explain to the property owner that a C2 code was, in my opinion, rather over zealous, and that there is no real cause for concern here. I will try again to reassure him.

The remedial works required are: main bonding to the water inlet, RCD protection for the shower, bathroom heater and lighting circuits, IP-rated ceiling fitting in bathroom, labelling of circuits, and a couple of disused entry holes in consumer unit to be blanked-off.

^^ maybe suggest a new fuseboard........ and surely the sockets need RCD protection too!

I did make that very suggestion right at the start, but he declined.

There is no RCD protection for the sockets, but since the property is a top-floor flat in a four-storey block with there being little probability of any of the sockets being used to supply outdoor equipment, the C3 code on the EICR was the correct call. I've yet to meet a landlord who acted on a C3 advisory. Almost all of the ones I've dealt with appear to interpret C3 codes as: "Oh good ..... I don't have to have this done and can save some money."

That's fair enough. But for me adding RCD protection to 3 separate circuits is a CU change. Once you've gone to the trouble of doing it separately I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be charging any less than a full CU change.

My thoughts exactly. But since the customer has exercised his sovereignty and decided that three stand-alone RCDs are preferable to a consumer unit upgrade, who am I to disagree? If that's what he wants, that's what he'll get. I get paid the same either way. :D

My thoughts exactly. But since the customer has exercised his sovereignty and decided that three stand-alone RCDs are preferable to a consumer unit upgrade, who am I to disagree? If that's what he wants, that's what he'll get. I get paid the same either way. :D

Charge him £3 less for the CU than the 3 stand alones. He'll soon change his mind :grin:

Reply to Urgently Wanted: 2 x Wylex 4-Way Dark Grey Fuse Covers in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock