Discuss USB Charging Wall Plates in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

GarryJ

-
Reaction score
Hi There,

Has anyone fitted the new USB wall plates that are available to install for ease of charging phones/i pods e.t.c?

I assume they just go into a single outlet back-box size, but has anyone bought any? And are they just supplied off of a ring main? Therefore can be swapped for an existing single socket for example?

Thanks in advance for any reply's :)

Sorry not fitted one, I assume you meant the socket outlets with a USB shuttered outlet as well.
As far as I am aware they are a direct replacement for a standard S/O and should just replace the existing or be fitted int he same way.
There is some consideration that if the USB transformer is constantly running it may be using some power, rather like leaving your phone charger plugged in, but I am not sure of the accuracy of this.

I don't like the idea....number 1 what if the transformer fails or gets a hit and pops inside the wall? and number 2 what happens when they change all the USB connectors and chargers to the new USB 3.1 which will end up with a different charging set up....different voltage and possibly all going to smaller connector sizes to fit smaller netbooks/touchscreen pads etc?
I was also thinking that they are probably more of a novelty import and intended for joe blogs to have a go and install DIY at own risk of personal injury and/or damage to property.....if a sparky was to install one and the place burned down, the insurance would probably state that they are not approved for use directly hardwired/installed or something along those lines......being a non - standard supply and all that ( combination SELV/230V in one plate) and probably not up to the construction standards of other off the shelf branded sockets...:rolleyes2: :rolleyes4:

I don't like the idea....number 1 what if the transformer fails or gets a hit and pops inside the wall? and number 2 what happens when they change all the USB connectors and chargers to the new USB 3.1 which will end up with a different charging set up....different voltage and possibly all going to smaller connector sizes to fit smaller netbooks/touchscreen pads etc?
I was also thinking that they are probably more of a novelty import and intended for joe blogs to have a go and install DIY at own risk of personal injury and/or damage to property.....if a sparky was to install one and the place burned down, the insurance would probably state that they are not approved for use directly hardwired/installed or something along those lines......being a non - standard supply and all that ( combination SELV/230V in one plate) and probably not up to the construction standards of other off the shelf branded sockets...:rolleyes2: :rolleyes4:

so you dont like shaver sockets either then?

would give up on this thread now that brands may have possibly been mentioned or direction given toward material or literature that may be taken or misconstrued as indication or suggestion of direction toward particular product types both online(on the internet and other digital media) and offline in the general public domain, as it could lead to allegations and/or legal representations against us(the members of this forum) for commenting or joining this particular forum "thread" remember that the general public come here to read about electrician subjects and could take links or mentions the wrong way regardless of whether or not any comments that may be construed as critical of a particular class or category/type or style of product or device were made before or after the post(s) possibly giving indication away from this website towards the general scope of the internet, given that the comments or preferences indicated may be misunderstood by the reader having possibly been read prior to the texts containing link(s) towards other published materials and taken as fact or professional opinion.
we should all remember not to mention or indicate or direct towards any particular product or seller of products as this may be seen to disadvantage that particular product or seller to the cost of their business or livelihood , and could lead to any number of legal issues or actions against us the members.....

readers of this forum, both members and otherwise, should take into consideration the fact that any posts or publication of text or images/web-links that could possibly be taken as or understood to be opinion are in fact merely random musings unless otherwise stated, and that no connection should be made or assumed or inferred between comments made by different members on this website including but not limited to those prior to or after posts containing internet web links or Brand or supplier names.

Last edited:
would give up on this thread now that brands may have possibly been mentioned or direction given toward material or literature that may be taken or misconstrued as indication or suggestion of direction toward particular product types both online(on the internet and other digital media) and offline in the general public domain, as it could lead to allegations and/or legal representations against us(the members of this forum) for commenting or joining this particular forum "thread" remember that the general public come here to read about electrician subjects and could take links or mentions the wrong way regardless of whether or not any comments that may be construed as critical of a particular class or category/type or style of product or device were made before or after the post(s) possibly giving indication away from this website towards the general scope of the internet, given that the comments or preferences indicated may be misunderstood by the reader having possibly been read prior to the texts containing link(s) towards other published materials and taken as fact or professional opinion.
we should all remember not to mention or indicate or direct towards any particular product or seller of products as this may be seen to disadvantage that particular product or seller to the cost of their business or livelihood , and could lead to any number of legal issues or actions against us the members.....

readers of this forum, both members and otherwise, should take into consideration the fact that any posts or publication of text or images/web-links that could possibly be taken as or understood to be opinion are in fact merely random musings unless otherwise stated, and that no connection should be made or assumed or inferred between comments made by different members on this website including but not limited to those prior to or after posts containing internet web links or Brand or supplier names.

Say what? eh? pardon? Me, I had porridge for breakfast. Have I just opened myself up to litigation from anyone with a gluten allergy????

If your client wants socket outlets c/w USB outlets, fit them, who cares if USB 3, 5 or 7 changes the form factor?

We don't all change our computers and laptops each time a standard is 'improved'!

The outlets are a direct replacement for a standard BS1363 socket outlet but depending on the manufacturer, check back box depth requirements.

I cannot remove my post (number 3) or I would delete it now to save any confusion possibly brought about by later posts containing links or brand names...

If you are that concerned or worried just edit your post to remove the text

Personally can't see what the problem is highlighting a specific product on the forum we all ask for advice or recommendations on providing the best solutions for our customers which usually results in specific product details being posted

Returning to the original subject I would think the product would benefit from being a 2 gang 13A socket to make it a one for one replacement as you don't get many 13A single sockets in domestic properties these days

Last edited:
couldn't edit or delete my previous post, I know how things can be on the internet with businesses complaining......for example if I said I didn't like a certain kind of car and somebody else said "what like this kind here???.....inserts link...." then the car company could argue that I had been the cause of a load of potential buyers being put off....and that's enough these days..just to get blamed by a fancy lawyer for being the instigator of assumed/inferred bad press....basically I think that putting a link is almost like mentioning a name....so if I say "I don't like that kind of flavour of coffee"...and somebody comes along and says "like this brand here?" then it can end up in getting blamed for bad mouthing a product/company.....which would get everybody dragged in and accused of saying things that they didn't actually say or mean...
I know it sounds a bit over the top but all it takes is for somebody to google a product, it leads them to a post here with no ill meaning or badness intended by the posters but they can argue that the general public can take it the wrong way...

couldn't edit or delete my previous post, I know how things can be on the internet with businesses complaining......for example if I said I didn't like a certain kind of car and somebody else said "what like this kind here???.....inserts link...." then the car company could argue that I had been the cause of a load of potential buyers being put off....and that's enough these days..just to get blamed by a fancy lawyer for being the instigator of assumed/inferred bad press....basically I think that putting a link is almost like mentioning a name....so if I say "I don't like that kind of flavour of coffee"...and somebody comes along and says "like this brand here?" then it can end up in getting blamed for bad mouthing a product/company.....which would get everybody dragged in and accused of saying things that they didn't actually say or mean...
I know it sounds a bit over the top but all it takes is for somebody to google a product, it leads them to a post here with no ill meaning or badness intended by the posters but they can argue that the general public can take it the wrong way...

IMO you are too PC to be posting on the internet as it appears you cannot post positive or negative things about a product for fear of litigation I assume you are one of these people who never wins and never loses

There has to be some people who will comment on products or services otherwise they will never improve any manufacturer who does not welcome feedback is a dinosaur and if their aim in life is to live off litigation then they deserve not to be in business

From what I have seen there is only one manufacturer producing this configuration of socket outlet others may be available and I for one would welcome links to any other manufacturers producing similar outlet plates and any experience of installers who have used the product given that the USB has been standardised as the charging connector for mobiles and a lot of other devices the installation of this type of outlet will become the norm

Jeez, I think we're another step closer to a world where no one dare say anything to anyone. Daz

I don't see a problem with mentioning brands and your experience/opinion about them. I've never heard of anyone on here being pursued through legal channels because of something they've said about a brand...and believe me there are some brands that have taken a beating on this forum.

Usually the forum owner would receive a takedown request for the post if someone wanted it removed. From there it's the decision of the owner whether to refuse the request and defend his decision in court if it came to that or honour the request and remove the material. I would imagine each request would be considered on it's own merits but the person who made the post would have no say in the outcome and would also not be the responsible person unless maybe they broke a specific criminal law such as grooming children or holocaust denial or something similar. This is just my take on it as a layman.

They are aimed at Hotels, coffee shops etc rather than domestic applications, so the traveller will not need to carry a charger and a bag full of international adapter plugs.

The UK Made 25 x 50 and 50 x 50 Euro size modules are internally fused so they do not need a spur, they are approved as an integral FCU.

Reply to USB Charging Wall Plates in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net