Discuss USB ports within sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kyran

-
Reaction score
HI all

A client ask if i could look into the idea of having one of those USB + standard stock installed in her house. I know there are a couple of comments in this forum but just thought I would ask as they are older threads.

So has any one has any experience with them (as i have not) if so which ones to go for and which to avoid.

a wail ago i was told by and electrical engineer i know that having the DC transformer with in the socket was a bad idea as it leaked into the system and saturated the RCDs so that did not work. plus the problem of then constantly on/draining power. plus any safety issues of having the transformer in the wall/socket/pattress.

What people experiences thoughts.

They will only use power when something is plugged into them, that basic laws of physics.

As for my opinion on them, I see them as being pointless. As soon as you move the device away from the socket and it needs charging you will need a USB apdaptor anyway.

And dont forget there will be a new type of usb which will come into the market replacing the current one. The new type it doesn't matter which way round it goes in. So if you fit them in a few years you will be changing them again.

Not keen on them. Rather have a plug in device as dill states. I would however consider them if the USB could be switched off when not required.

Personally think they're a decent idea but with a very limited scope for use. As phone manufacturers are coming away from giving plugin devices to purely sending out USB leads, one of these by a bedside table could come in handy. That's about the only real use I can see for them, mind.

Personally think they're a decent idea but with a very limited scope for use. As phone manufacturers are coming away from giving plugin devices to purely sending out USB leads, one of these by a bedside table could come in handy. That's about the only real use I can see for them, mind.

Agree,
That's where people ask me to install them.
There ok for small devices such as an i phone but forget i pads and the like.
The bigger devices don't recognise a charge current from them.

HI all

A client ask if i could look into the idea of having one of those USB + standard stock installed in her house. I know there are a couple of comments in this forum but just thought I would ask as they are older threads.

So has any one has any experience with them (as i have not) if so which ones to go for and which to avoid.

a wail ago i was told by and electrical engineer i know that having the DC transformer with in the socket was a bad idea as it leaked into the system and saturated the RCDs so that did not work. plus the problem of then constantly on/draining power. plus any safety issues of having the transformer in the wall/socket/pattress.

What people experiences thoughts.

Kyran,
Never had any issues regarding Rcd's with these devices installed.

If you consider the amount of electronic devices left on standby around the home Rcd conflicts related to this would be far more common place if true.

Some electrical engineers who overdose on theoretical technicality's can often regurgitate this kind of stuff, don't get blinded by there science.
BS is BS no matter how technical it may sound. :icon12:

Agree,

Kyran,

If you consider the amount of electronic devices left on standby around the home Rcd conflicts related to this would be far more common place if true.

Some electrical engineers who overdose on theoretical technicality's can often regurgitate this kind of stuff, don't get blinded by there science.
its not quite that simple.

there is a standard to put a certain voltage across D+ to earth and D- to earth to tell the device its safe to draw so much current.

now certain companies e.g. apple,samsung etc use non standard voltages on the data pins so the device wont charge very fast or in some cases not supply the standby current of the device so it doesnt work at all.

i did some research into this myself and using a usb extender cable,connector strip and resistors i managed to get the charge rate i wanted.

(i did this because i put a 5v tranny in my radio and needed to put the resistors across the usb port i attached to it so my devices would charge at the full rate)

it was a 2amp tranny btw

some of them have cheapest possible smps transformers stuffed into them, without any means of cooling down, may last a year or two then the capacitors on board will fail. lets see.

Agree,

Kyran,

another issue is simply.

you will have to remove every single socket and put it in connecter strip lol

if they want usb use these or similar modules

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5837W.html

MKK5837WC.JPG

Know I am asking, just googled them, why would you need usb in socket only to charge up some kind of equipment.? I have an 13amp plug usb adaptor. (for charging)

Fitting a few of the BG version. Bit ugly, but have a spacer bracket so they can fit into a shallower box. It's also capable of charging tablets etc. They are handy for bedside sockets and also had to fit one to power a chromecast at a TV.

Know I am asking, just googled them, why would you need usb in socket only to charge up some kind of equipment.? I have an 13amp plug usb adaptor. (for charging)
If both outlets are in use from the double socket, it gives 2 free ports to charge phones/tablets. So for a bedside socket they can be a neater replacement rather than chopping in an extra double socket

My son somehow managed to break off the earth pin on his charger leaving it in the socket so thought I would try one of the usb sockets.
Just fitted the Lap version http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-13a-sp-2-gang-switched-socket-usb-charger-port-white/1204f at the side of my sons bed. At £12 its cheap fits a 25mm standard back box. No switching on usb and single pole on each socket.
The usb has a max output of 2.1A at 5v(shared) and runs an ipad or tablet easily, will charge up phones too.

theyre also quite bulky and require a deaper box 35mm, fitted a few, no problems yet, i was a little concerned about the cooling of the dc supply, like said above im sure the capacitors wont last long :-0 personally prefer a mains adapter....

They will only use power when something is plugged into them, that basic laws of physics.

As for my opinion on them, I see them as being pointless. As soon as you move the device away from the socket and it needs charging you will need a USB apdaptor anyway.
Actually in almost all cases they DO use power continuously when nothing is plugged in as the circuitry to provide 5V is powered! I.e. "standby power" consumption.

My understanding of the regulations is that, CELEX:32019R1782 from October 2019 applies which has details of "Ecodesign requirements for external power supplies" with "no-load" consumption required to be <=0.1W per device (a double socket counting as a single product/device).

BUT it is very hard to find out what they actually take as most details on web sites and even in specification, etc. documents do not state this!

We had some double mains sockets with USB sockets fitted in our new kitchen/extension 3 years ago and it turns out they take 1.38W (CELEX:32009R0278 from April 2010 specified <= 0.3W)! - So should not have been allowed! Others I have found recentlly quote 5mA which at 230V is 1.15W!

Products with <= 0.1W USB socket "no-load" consumption do exist and we had 2 double mains sockets with USB sockets fitted in our new shed this year.

I know that these wattages sound low, but considering they are on 24/7, each house has potentially many USB sockets and multiplying up across the country, the actual power usage is quite considerable and obviously an issue for climate change, sustainability, etc.

Actually in almost all cases they DO use power continuously when nothing is plugged in as the circuitry to provide 5V is powered! I.e. "standby power" consumption.

My understanding of the regulations is that, CELEX:32019R1782 from October 2019 applies which has details of "Ecodesign requirements for external power supplies" with "no-load" consumption required to be <=0.1W per device (a double socket counting as a single product/device).

BUT it is very hard to find out what they actually take as most details on web sites and even in specification, etc. documents do not state this!

We had some double mains sockets with USB sockets fitted in our new kitchen/extension 3 years ago and it turns out they take 1.38W (CELEX:32009R0278 from April 2010 specified <= 0.3W)! - So should not have been allowed! Others I have found recentlly quote 5mA which at 230V is 1.15W!

Products with <= 0.1W USB socket "no-load" consumption do exist and we had 2 double mains sockets with USB sockets fitted in our new shed this year.

I know that these wattages sound low, but considering they are on 24/7, each house has potentially many USB sockets and multiplying up across the country, the actual power usage is quite considerable and obviously an issue for climate change, sustainability, etc.

Old thread, but valid points.

Reply to USB ports within sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net