Discuss Use RCD for 130m cable run to outbuilding? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Let us hope the OP can get equally good advice from his "sparkly"...sounds bright enough ;)

Interesting to see all the different options and solutions - hence posting on here. I wanted a bit of background knowledge so I have some idea of what my sparky tells me is a good solution :)

The cable to the outbuilding would be protected by an MCB, lets say its 32A. If there is an earth fault on the cable the MCB should trip, but the earth fault current will be restricted by the impedance of the earth/ROD at the house and, and that is never going to be enough to trip a 40A MCB.
So an RCD is needed to provide this protection. Its not for personal protection, so 100mA fits the bill, but it needs to be time-delayed or an earth fault in the outbuilding could trip both the remote 30mA RCD, and the 100mA RCD at the source end.
How have you come to the conclusion a 32A device will trip but a 40A will not? This is all dependent on the magnitude of fault current which we do not know.

Where cables are concealed in walls, the options are to bury the cable at a depth greater than 50mm, use an earthed sheath cable such as SWA, install the cables in earthed conduit or trunking, provide mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by drilling or nails or to run the cables in prescribed routes and provide additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD.
For cables concealed above ceilings and below floors, where the cables pass through joists or battens, the same options are available, excepting the option to run in prescribed zones with 30mA RCD protection.

Hence my comment.

Where cables are concealed in walls, the options are to bury the cable at a depth greater than 50mm, use an earthed sheath cable such as SWA, install the cables in earthed conduit or trunking, provide mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by drilling or nails or to run the cables in prescribed routes and provide additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD.
For cables concealed above ceilings and below floors, where the cables pass through joists or battens, the same options are available, excepting the option to run in prescribed zones with 30mA RCD protection.

Hence my comment.
Not sure the 130m run will be concealed in walls.

Not saying it will be.
Just saying, that SWA is a cable which is used where RCDs are not allowed.
So is fine to use without an RCD.

Hospital..sèe special locations 710 operating theatre.

Oops ancient post soŕry

Don't worry @mrloy99 - far more ancient threads have been revived. Some have needed an obligatory dust off. Late September is concidered recent!
Ps how are you getting the accents on your letters in your post?

You are making lingering sound like lingerie! I'm going to change my keyboard setting too!

I've decided not to mess!

Reply to Use RCD for 130m cable run to outbuilding? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock