Discuss USEFUL IET VIDEOS FOR ELECTRICAL APPRENTICES / STUDENTS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

As I might have mentioned on the Forum previously I am subscribed to the IET for the `Wiring Matters` magazine which I think is now only online.

I also receive regular Emails from the IET about Electrical Regulations and all manner of things `Electrical`.

Today I received an Email from them and there was a link to a `Students Guide to Safe Isolation` Video - I clicked onto that and was taken to the relevant IET webpage where as well as that Video there were many others [59 from memory].

I thought that this would be an excellent source of reference for Apprentice / Student Electricians:

https://tv.------.org/?latest=27

I hope that it will be helpful to our Apprentice / Student Electrician Members.

And perhaps also more experienced / qualified Members as I have just seen [at a glance through the list] that not all of the Videos seem to be aimed at Apprentices / Student Electricians ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
In that case you must have seen the article about what to expect in the up and coming 18th edition as they did a column about it?

Hello ian1981,

I am not sure what You meant by your comment ?

I am known by some Members as a Heating Engineer, Plumber and Gas Engineer - a Heating, Plumbing & Gas Contractor - that also shows as my `Signature` under my messages.

I think that have been a Member of the Forum for about 4.5 years - my original motivation was to stay and try to help Members with questions about Heating & Plumbing as a `pay back` the Forum for helping me with some information.

I would not really notice individual articles or immerse myself in articles on something like the 18th Edition because I do not profess to have any Electrical qualifications, I do not carry out any Electrical work and I have NEVER tried to give any advice on an Electrical question on this Forum.

Many Years ago [1990`s] I did attend Training & Assessment for Electrical ACOPS - `Essential Electrics` and `Electrical Installation for Mechanical Services` [words to that effect] - this was so that I could be seen / and supposedly prove that I could work `Safely` on Gas Appliances and Heating systems.

Rumours that this would be becoming `mandatory` did influence that decision although I always thought it a good idea to get some Electrical Training.

Shortly after the 16th Edition came out I attended Training & Assessment for the CORGI Defined Scope aspect of the 16th Edition, that was with the idea of being able to demonstrate `Competence` and legally install Heating Controls & Wiring associated ONLY with Heating / Gas Appliances.

I paid to undertake the CORGI Defined Scope 16th Edition because at that time I thought that I might be having to carry out my own Heating Controls installations because of the requirements of my Customers / Builders.

For various reasons at that time I did not have an Electrician who did my Electrical work and I thought that it would be expected that I would be doing the Controls / wiring.

However that somewhat backfired because quite understandably most Customers / Builders wanted Electrical Certificates for the entire property from just one Electrical Contractor / Electrician engaged by them.

Although I had paid quite a lot of money for the Training & Assessment I was quite happy for Builders to have their Electricians carrying out my Heating Controls wiring and I also used the Electricians on my own Heating system installations for many years.

I have explained all of this because I am guessing that You might have something in mind that made you comment as you did ?

The lead article in the Wiring Matters Email that I received was this:

QUOTE:

Hi everyone,

I can't believe it's May already! We're so busy at the IET preparing the Draft for Public Comment (DPC) for BS 7671, creating various new books and working on other initiatives that the year is flying by.

The DPC is due to be published in June. The article in the last issue explains how you can comment on the DPC, including some screenshots I hope you'll find useful.

Our Standards team – responsible for providing Codes of Practice and guidance for a variety of topic areas not necessarily covered by BS 7671 – are publishing two titles related to energy that might be of interest to you. The Guide to Energy Management provides structured approaches to implementing an energy management system, useful for those of you who have a wide job role and who have perhaps newly acquired the energy management approach. The Code of Practice for Electrical Energy Storage Systems provides an important framework for this emerging area (we interviewed author Graham Kenyon in a previous issue). Both titles are available to pre-order and we feature an article about energy management in this issue.

Smart homes continue to dominate and shape future opportunities and so we continue to provide guidance for you on how to seize these opportunities and provide what is likely to become a much in-demand service to domestic and non-domestic clients. We're very pleased to have Phillip Schuster from Loxone write about how to approach this new market, and Karen Fletcher provides guidance on using BS EN 15232 to structure your understanding of this area.

We are also continuing to provide more videos and other supporting content. Please keep an eye on our Twitter account @IET_WM for updates from us, and let us know what content you'd like to see.

Nicole Whitton, Editor

END OF QUOTE

None of the other articles in the Wiring Matters Email had anything about the 18th Edition in their title.

I did not take much notice of the Titles of the Videos but I did `glance through` the list which is why I thought there might be some that were interesting to our qualified Members ?

I hope that You have not been too bored by reading this.

Regards,

Chris

Hello ian1981,

I am not sure what You meant by your comment ?

I am known by some Members as a Heating Engineer, Plumber and Gas Engineer - a Heating, Plumbing & Gas Contractor - that also shows as my `Signature` under my messages.

I think that have been a Member of the Forum for about 4.5 years - my original motivation was to stay and try to help Members with questions about Heating & Plumbing as a `pay back` the Forum for helping me with some information.

I would not really notice individual articles or immerse myself in articles on something like the 18th Edition because I do not profess to have any Electrical qualifications, I do not carry out any Electrical work and I have NEVER tried to give any advice on an Electrical question on this Forum.

Many Years ago [1990`s] I did attend Training & Assessment for Electrical ACOPS - `Essential Electrics` and `Electrical Installation for Mechanical Services` [words to that effect] - this was so that I could be seen / and supposedly prove that I could work `Safely` on Gas Appliances and Heating systems.

Rumours that this would be becoming `mandatory` did influence that decision although I always thought it a good idea to get some Electrical Training.

Shortly after the 16th Edition came out I attended Training & Assessment for the CORGI Defined Scope aspect of the 16th Edition, that was with the idea of being able to demonstrate `Competence` and legally install Heating Controls & Wiring associated ONLY with Heating / Gas Appliances.

I paid to undertake the CORGI Defined Scope 16th Edition because at that time I thought that I might be having to carry out my own Heating Controls installations because of the requirements of my Customers / Builders.

For various reasons at that time I did not have an Electrician who did my Electrical work and I thought that it would be expected that I would be doing the Controls / wiring.

However that somewhat backfired because quite understandably most Customers / Builders wanted Electrical Certificates for the entire property from just one Electrical Contractor / Electrician engaged by them.

Although I had paid quite a lot of money for the Training & Assessment I was quite happy for Builders to have their Electricians carrying out my Heating Controls wiring and I also used the Electricians on my own Heating system installations for many years.

I have explained all of this because I am guessing that You might have something in mind that made you comment as you did ?

The lead article in the Wiring Matters Email that I received was this:

QUOTE:

Hi everyone,

I can't believe it's May already! We're so busy at the IET preparing the Draft for Public Comment (DPC) for BS 7671, creating various new books and working on other initiatives that the year is flying by.

The DPC is due to be published in June. The article in the last issue explains how you can comment on the DPC, including some screenshots I hope you'll find useful.

Our Standards team – responsible for providing Codes of Practice and guidance for a variety of topic areas not necessarily covered by BS 7671 – are publishing two titles related to energy that might be of interest to you. The Guide to Energy Management provides structured approaches to implementing an energy management system, useful for those of you who have a wide job role and who have perhaps newly acquired the energy management approach. The Code of Practice for Electrical Energy Storage Systems provides an important framework for this emerging area (we interviewed author Graham Kenyon in a previous issue). Both titles are available to pre-order and we feature an article about energy management in this issue.

Smart homes continue to dominate and shape future opportunities and so we continue to provide guidance for you on how to seize these opportunities and provide what is likely to become a much in-demand service to domestic and non-domestic clients. We're very pleased to have Phillip Schuster from Loxone write about how to approach this new market, and Karen Fletcher provides guidance on using BS EN 15232 to structure your understanding of this area.

We are also continuing to provide more videos and other supporting content. Please keep an eye on our Twitter account @IET_WM for updates from us, and let us know what content you'd like to see.

Nicole Whitton, Editor

END OF QUOTE

I did not take much notice of the Titles of the Videos but I did `glance through` the list which is why I thought there might be some that were interesting to our qualified Members ?

I hope that You have not been too bored by reading this.

Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris, no just the wiring matters had an article about the up and coming 18th edition.
Just was seeing what you thought of it.

Hello again Ian,

As I mentioned above I probably would not have read it even if I had seen the article and I am definitely not qualified / experienced enough to be commenting on something like that.

Sorry if my explanation was unnecessary [and very long] but I wanted to let you know why I am a Member of the Forum and to show why such an article would not really be applicable / of interest to me.

However I don`t know why I was not seeing the article on Today`s Wiring Matters Email / online magazine ?

Regards,

Chris

Reply to USEFUL IET VIDEOS FOR ELECTRICAL APPRENTICES / STUDENTS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net