Discuss Using SWA cables in parallel in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Perci

-
Reaction score
Hi
A job that I'm currently looking at requires a 300A 3ph supply to a unit. The cable will be 100m long so the calc comes out at 240mm2. This cable is to be pulled down a duct, the main issue is it's weight and size will be a battle. I'm thinking of running two 95mm2 in parallel that would make this job possibly easier. What are everyone's thoughts?

Hi
A job that I'm currently looking at requires a 300A 3ph supply to a unit. The cable will be 100m long so the calc comes out at 240mm2. This cable is to be pulled down a duct, the main issue is it's weight and size will be a battle. I'm thinking of running two 95mm2 in parallel that would make this job possibly easier. What are everyone's thoughts?
If they where singles you where pulling in I'd say parallel is a good choice but 2 x 95mm can you get them down the duct?
Plus it's two glands to make off and terminate at each end.
Aluminium conductors maybe a better choice.
Or stick with the one cable.
240 mm at 70 degrees operating temp 3 phase is less than 300 amps tho ref method D only gives ambient temp at 20 degrees and that's with out a correction factor of 0.9 to bring it to 30 degree ambient temperature

Last edited:
Parallel cables will have a reduced overall csa compared to one cable and are often used for large submains. If your calculations are okay it is the best option.

If they where singles you where pulling in I'd say parallel is a good choice but 2 x 95mm can you get them down the duct?
Plus it's two glands to make off and terminate at each end.
Aluminium conductors maybe a better choice.
Or stick with the one cable.
240 mm at 70 degrees operating temp 3 phase is less than 300 amps tho ref method D only gives ambient temp of 20 degrees and that's with out a correction factor of 0.9 to bring it to 30 degree ambient temperature
Two 95.0 better than pulling one 240.0.

240mm 3 or 4 core , 3 phase is only 280 amps then using the maximum operating temperature at 70 degrees without applying correction factors

The duct is 12" so quite large and is completely straight. I calc it with 0.8-pf, ambient temp 20 degrees and on a xlpe at 240mm2. Do you get a different answer?

The duct is 12" so quite large and is completely straight. I calc it with 0.8-pf, ambient temp 20 degrees and on a xlpe at 240mm2. Do you get a different answer?
Think you've used xlpe at 90 degrees operating temperature and not 70 degrees.
There is a note in the tables making you aware of connecting 90 degree to 70 degree accessories and switch gear.
You need to apply a 0.9 correction factor straight away If cable in a duct or buried as tables give ccc at 20 degrees and not 30 degrees reference method D

Ha you just have read my mind Ian! Yes I have done that! I the panel board it is connecting to is quite small so I was thinking the two 95mm2 would be easier to terminate. I was always under the impression that washing up liquid makes the pvc deteriorate?

W
Ha you just have read my mind Ian! Yes I have done that! I the panel board it is connecting to is quite small so I was thinking the two 95mm2 would be easier to terminate. I was always under the impression that washing up liquid makes the pvc deteriorate?
well never poured it on cables so I don't know haha.

Dpes anyone know what factoring is applied for parallel supplies? I think the CSA normally works out less that with one cable

Have you tried sizing it with three cables. Another thought does the armour have to support main protective bonds upstream.

Reply to Using SWA cables in parallel in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock