Discuss Valiant 831 Boiler - Wiring of thermostats and motorised valves?! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chriswrench1989

Sorry in advance for the long thread! Just want to make sure i provided as much detail as possible.

We are currently building an extension and whilst devastating the house have decided to install a new boiler, we have also opted for a John Guest UFH system to be installed in the new extension.

I installed the boiler and rerouted the pipe work (we previously had a boiler and tank upstairs) over the weekend and then had a qualified plumber connect the gas and commission the boiler yesterday.

I was also expecting him to complete the wiring of the motorised valves and stats however he seemed to lack knowledge on how these should be connected and just wired so that the boiler worked until an electrician had a look. Im not convinced its right!

At the moment we have no control over the heating and I would like some advice on how to connect up the devices.

Overview of system
Boiler - Valiant Ecotec Plus 831 combi

Heating zones -
1 zone for radiators
1 zone for UFH system

The Heating flow from boiler is connected to 2, two way motorised Honeywell valves. 1 valve serves the radiator heating zone, and the other valve serves the UFH manifold.

I have been advised that we require 2 independent programmers/thermostats for each zone.

For Zone 1 (Radiators) I have currently used the stat from the previous boiler as it was only few months old. This is a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 which is a 7day, single zone programmer allowing 3 programmes per day.

For zone 2 I have purchased a new JG 12v Programmable 7day thermostat.

I therefore have 2 programmers/stats and 2 motorised valves. One for each heating zone.

The UFH manifold pump has an automatic temperature sensor to shut off its pump when the motorised valve is closed.

The plumber has currently wired all 4 devices into a central wiring box including a feed to the boiler.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me on how the various devices should be wired into the connector block/ boiler.

The only control we currently have is to physically turn the boiler on and off if we want the heating, neither thermostat or programme seem to control the boiler!

Not ideal waking up in the morning to a cold house and having to manually turn the boiler on!!

Thanks for your help in advance, please let me know if I need to provide any extra details!

I have some pictures of the installation that i would like to upload, but my permissions don't seem to allow it currently??

Chris

Wiring diagrams for a 2 zone system (S plan) are included in the sticky thread at the top of this section of the forum.
You will of course have to make the appropriate adjustments for the combined stat/programmer and the 12V unit you have (why did you go for 12V?)
Other than that the only advice we can really give is to employ an electrician with a good working knowledge of domestic heating controls.

If that Honeywell kit is the one with the pcb in the joint box they are far from being the mutts nuts, damned things are plagued by dry joints on the pcb's.

No it's a twin channel programmer that is also the receiver for the two wireless room thermostats that come as part of the same kit for each zone and also has a connection for volt free connections etc 2 the boiler if required

I agree about the Honeywell sundial idiot proof wiring centre the PCB's are sh!t. If I get supplied one on a job I rip the pcb out and use connector block or wago's.

Sorry in advance for the long thread! Just want to make sure i provided as much detail as possible.

We are currently building an extension and whilst devastating the house have decided to install a new boiler, we have also opted for a John Guest UFH system to be installed in the new extension.

I installed the boiler and rerouted the pipe work (we previously had a boiler and tank upstairs) over the weekend and then had a qualified plumber connect the gas and commission the boiler yesterday.

I was also expecting him to complete the wiring of the motorised valves and stats however he seemed to lack knowledge on how these should be connected and just wired so that the boiler worked until an electrician had a look. Im not convinced its right!

At the moment we have no control over the heating and I would like some advice on how to connect up the devices.

Overview of system
Boiler - Valiant Ecotec Plus 831 combi

Heating zones -
1 zone for radiators
1 zone for UFH system

The Heating flow from boiler is connected to 2, two way motorised Honeywell valves. 1 valve serves the radiator heating zone, and the other valve serves the UFH manifold.

I have been advised that we require 2 independent programmers/thermostats for each zone.

For Zone 1 (Radiators) I have currently used the stat from the previous boiler as it was only few months old. This is a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 which is a 7day, single zone programmer allowing 3 programmes per day.

For zone 2 I have purchased a new JG 12v Programmable 7day thermostat.

I therefore have 2 programmers/stats and 2 motorised valves. One for each heating zone.

The UFH manifold pump has an automatic temperature sensor to shut off its pump when the motorised valve is closed.

The plumber has currently wired all 4 devices into a central wiring box including a feed to the boiler.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me on how the various devices should be wired into the connector block/ boiler.

The only control we currently have is to physically turn the boiler on and off if we want the heating, neither thermostat or programme seem to control the boiler!

Not ideal waking up in the morning to a cold house and having to manually turn the boiler on!!

Thanks for your help in advance, please let me know if I need to provide any extra details!

I have some pictures of the installation that i would like to upload, but my permissions don't seem to allow it currently??

Chris

Telectrix is your man for this, or Chris Murphy - both are members here.;)

i'm with davesparks on this. wire as type with a mod. or 2. geordie, you sarcastic ****

Reply to Valiant 831 Boiler - Wiring of thermostats and motorised valves?! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock