Discuss Varilight V-Pro grid dimmers problems anyone? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with Varilight V-Pro grid dimmers?

I've had enough, installation so far has cost me 4 call-outs (unpaid) and now I'm upset to keep annoying my customer, it will probably cost me another £100 in parts to swap out the Varilight and replace with (probably) MK.

Installation all tested out OK beforehand.

Set-up is Varilight V-pro intelligent grid dimmer, dimming 4 Varilight dimmable CFL. (Specs allow me to use up to eight Varilight lamps)

All nice at installation time, the dimmers needed to be re-set (They have a processor on board) to cater for the CFL's, all the instructions work, a series of on/off on the switch/knob. After a re-set the dimmers are said to detect the load and set up accordingly. This works great initially, and they dim really very well, silent and smooth -until maybe a week later...when they don't.

The blasted things seem to keep restoring themselves to default state, and customer keeps calling me up to say lights aren't dimming. (In default state, they are I guess OK for incandescents maybe, but no good for the Dimmable CFL's)

So that happened four times now. The latest call-out where I successfully re-set one room using the dimmer knob sequence, (two rooms with 4 lamps each), to find that the second room is unable to work at all, won't re-set, and just flickers and goes on & off randomly. I spent half an hour fiddling, but that unit, but now it won't accept programming mode.

I don't want to bad-mouth a system if it could be a one-off quality issue, (the final seemingly hard failure might be), but the frequent re-setting points to some sort of generic susceptibility problem or perhaps EMC issue.

Like I said, I think I've had enough of these. I don't believe it's any conventional issue with the installation, but it may be worth seeing if anyone else has had the same problem.

Has anyone had problems with Varilight V-Pro grid dimmers?

I've had enough, installation so far has cost me 4 call-outs (unpaid) and now I'm upset to keep annoying my customer, it will probably cost me another £100 in parts to swap out the Varilight and replace with (probably) MK.

Installation all tested out OK beforehand.

Set-up is Varilight V-pro intelligent grid dimmer, dimming 4 Varilight dimmable CFL. (Specs allow me to use up to eight Varilight lamps)

All nice at installation time, the dimmers needed to be re-set (They have a processor on board) to cater for the CFL's, all the instructions work, a series of on/off on the switch/knob. After a re-set the dimmers are said to detect the load and set up accordingly. This works great initially, and they dim really very well, silent and smooth -until maybe a week later...when they don't.

The blasted things seem to keep restoring themselves to default state, and customer keeps calling me up to say lights aren't dimming. (In default state, they are I guess OK for incandescents maybe, but no good for the Dimmable CFL's)

So that happened four times now. The latest call-out where I successfully re-set one room using the dimmer knob sequence, (two rooms with 4 lamps each), to find that the second room is unable to work at all, won't re-set, and just flickers and goes on & off randomly. I spent half an hour fiddling, but that unit, but now it won't accept programming mode.

I don't want to bad-mouth a system if it could be a one-off quality issue, (the final seemingly hard failure might be), but the frequent re-setting points to some sort of generic susceptibility problem or perhaps EMC issue.

Like I said, I think I've had enough of these. I don't believe it's any conventional issue with the installation, but it may be worth seeing if anyone else has had the same problem.

I've had a similar problem with some v-pro dimmers installed about 6 months ago, 1 of them completely packed up wont dim at all, thus had 10 x g4 25w in which was up to pthe dimmers max rating.
The other I had to go back and reset after it stopped dimming 6 x 6w megaman dimmable led's , tbh I think the customer/kids had been pressing and turning the 2nd dimmer a lot which would have caused it to go in to learning mode where if it wasn't done right it would have learnt full power only.

It sounds like the first one (maybe) overheated - but should really have taken that load eh?

The second, agree, kids can mess these thing up. It only takes three on/off presses to get it into program mode. That's not out of the question where I put these (since kids), but customer thinks they don't mess with it. & Doesn't explain complete failure one.

Would be better if the programing mode was harder to achieve.

Reply to Varilight V-Pro grid dimmers problems anyone? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net