Discuss Veritas R8 Pre 2000 Magnetic contact problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ARobinson

Hi all,

I've just replaced the keypad on a veritas r8 pre-2000 system as the old keypad had few worn buttons which weren't working correctly. The new keypad seems to be working fine yet at the same time I also replaced the magnetic contact on our front door as it was very hit and miss, think it had probably stuck in closed position.

I've wired up the new contact, the 12v and 0v wires to each of the silver terminals and the 2 tamper wires twisted together to one of the brass terminals but I'm having problems as when I try set the alarm, the zone 1 light (door contact) is staying on and the alarm will not set.

I have tried removing the magnetic part of the switch from the door and holding it really close to the reed switch side but still won't set?

Whats the chances of a new magnetic contact being faulty? Can't see any problems with the wiring.

On another note, does anybody please have a copy of the user and installer manuals for the pre-2000 model? I've got the newer manual but I believe a lot of the programming codes were different on the pre-2000 models.

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

For a start the reed switch doesn't need + and - power.

So if those cables have 12 v and you have connected them through the switch you have probably blown the aux fuse In the panel

You have closed circuit alarm contacts which goes each side of the reed switch then there is the 24 hour global tampter that gets connected to one screw on the contact

Hi,

My mistake then, thought they were 12v +/- wires.

Anyway, I basically wired it up the same as the old one, changing 1 wire at a time so it is wired up exactly as the old one was.

Andy

Take the 2 wires that you call 12v off of the contact and twist them together now try to set the panel and let us know what happens. By the way, how many terminals are on the contact ?

For a user manual you could try the nice people at www.texe.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the magnet is close enough? If the gap between the two is just a little too big, it may not be pulling the reed closed.

If you are very quiet, you can actually here the reed ping as it opens, so close the door and then slowly open it and listen to the switch. If it doesn't ping, then you may need to move the magnet and switch unit closer together.

Edit:-

It is very quiet, but you can normally hear it.

It would have been best if you did a continuity check on the door contact between the terminals with the magnet alongside and away to check it and to wire it correctly , before wiring it up ...

Thanks for all the replies, great idea about twisting the wires, I didn't think of that as I wrongly thought they were 12v wires so was careful to keep them apart lol. I will try twisting the 2 wires together in about an hour or so and post the results. The contact is a knightbridge grade 2 contact which has 5 terminals, 2 silver and 3 brass.

I did try removing the magnet side off the door and holding it next to the reed switch just to make sure it wasn't too far away but it still didn't work.

Unfortuanately I'm not an electrician so don't have a continuity tester, but hopefully twisting the wires will determine whether its a contact or wiring issue.

Andy

I had a quick look on the texecom website but couldn't find any downloaded manuals, I might have to email them, although I'm not sure if they'd supply an installers manual as I'm not an installer? I'd have thought there would be a pdf copy online somewhere, found both the user and installer manuals for the later model, just need to pre-1999/2000 model as some of the programming codes are different, I believe its a different sequence to enter programming mode as well.

Andy

Hi Andy: Doubt very much if Texe will give you an installation manual as your not a registered tech with them. My mistake, I thought it was the user manual you wanted.
Will look through my manuals tomorrow & see if I still have an old one.
You could try the Security Warehouse as well, they're normally pretty good.

A quick update,
I disconnected the 2 wires from the contact, twisted them together and the alarm set fine so I cut the wires, re-stripped a new section and re-wired contact back up and it is working now.

Just looking for an engineers manual for the sytem now but everything back up and working fine.

Thanks for the trouble shooting guys.

Andy

No problem, glad we could help. So far I've only come across the 2005 manual but will keep looking.
Will dig out my discs as well, may have a PDF of it, that I can send you.

Reply to Veritas R8 Pre 2000 Magnetic contact problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net