Discuss Videx Door entry system help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've recently installed a door entry system in a customers flat and they're saying the latch release doesn't work properly. All the parts I have used are from 'videx' and from what i've heard they're the dogs ********. I have wired it so the visitor at the front door presses the outside button, the customer picks up the phone inside and speaks to the visitor, then the customer presses the button for the latch release and the visitor walks in.

I have done door entry systems before so i'm not completely lost when it comes to this stuff. The problem i'm having is that the latch release works intermittently when the customer presses the latch release button on the phone (or maybe it's the button on the phone thats the problem).

The whole thing was working when I first installed it. Then i noticed the latch release button sometimes wouldn't operate the latch if I have just pressed the button a few moments ago. As if it needed charging up :S It then started to work fine and I haven't heard from them since until today.

I'll include links below for the parts I have used, just wondering if anyone has any tips or has had this problem before. Any help would be appreciated as I'm a bit unsure of what to do next and replacing parts might not actually fix anything.

Latch release - Rim release - Videx Security

Transformer - 13Vac transformer - Videx Security

Intercom (at front door) - 4000 Series amplifier module (1 Button) - Videx Security

Phone - Smartline calltone telephone - Videx Security

ok aslong as its not cat5......you have all the correct equipment so I can only think of 2 things..
1. cable fault to latch...try doubling the cable cores to prevent voltage loss.
2. door latch installed to tight. there must be a few mill gap within the door and the latch. If the door does not give a little when pushed, the latch sticks. common problem

Just been to the job today and noticed I can't hear the latch release buzzing when I press the button on the phone. Haven't attempted to fix it yet as it's not top priority for the customer. Was wondering if this meant anything else came to mind in terms of resolving the problem.

Button on phone faulty or wiring fault, needs checking out.
How far is the wiring run from phone to the door control.

Hi all just a thought what is the operating current of the latch, we installed a video system fees years ago with a bannams lock & we had to use powe card to boost power to latch.
Hope that makes sense

I'll have to try pressing the button with the cover off. Hadn't thought of that. The run is about 20M. I'm not sure what the operating current is, but I've just asked the manufacturer through their website. Hopefully they can tell me.

Sounds like I need the extra few mm play on the latch, test the button on the phone and double up the cores (seeing as that would only take 2 minutes). It's just been one of those jobs!

Reply to Videx Door entry system help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net