Discuss Vivaro or Transit?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i know this is an old post but ive had vivaro mk1 & 2 also ive had mk6 & 7 Transit all at the same time they are both bad vans the question is which is the worst. Vivaro Mk1 the worst van ive ever had its a renault megane in disguise exactly same engine the F9Q it was first released in the early 90's in the renaults and uses timing belt not chain when these vehicles get a serious fault they never tend to recover and cost people thousands along the way just do a google search. The Mk2 is much better new modern engine M9r with timing chain, but as all vans still have there problems.
Now Transits Mk7 they is two revisions 06-59 and 10- onwards the earlier revision 06-59 have a lot of teething problems where as the Revision2 is much better with updated ECU, water cooled EGR etc, and has less problems but still has them.
MK6 Transit is probaly the most reliable Van ive ever had and are at least fixable when things go wrong some of the problems on the later transit are ECU related so are un fixable without Ford Ids (diagnostics etc vehicle scanner), this van is the uglyest out of the vans but will make you the most money, and be most reliable, my 03 mk6 was much more reliable than my mk7 59 plate.
So the question is Which to choose Personaly Mk6 Transit all the way, but if you want a new van and dont like the look of the mk6 i would by 10 plate onwards transit over new Vivaro, but i suppose if you wana look pro i would buy vivaro as if you buy a new transit your customers might think the gypsys have turned up haha

Anyone on here need any injector parts or diesel pumps i work at Injectorshop and could help sort you out.

ALWAYS DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON COMMON FAULTS BEFORE BUYING A VEHICLE AS YOU MIGHT BE SUPPRISED WHAT YOU HEAR ABOUT THE VEHICLE YOUR JUST ABOUT TO PURCHASE.

Last edited by a moderator:
As brooky says, transit smileys are bomb proof and can reach 300K + miles with ease, unfortanately they are not rust proof! mk6 transits suffer with fuel pump failure at 100K ish which will cost you a lot as you usually have to have a new tank as well as the pump.
Vivaro's suffer gearbox issues which are costly (1300 + labour) my mates went at about 80K. Our company vivaros were always in for repair wityh minor electrical niggles. However they are very car like and pleasant to drive.
I can't speak for transproters personally, but I have heard mainly good things.

Why not get a late sherpa, very basic reliable transit running gear, classic rugged looks and excellent value!

Go with a Transit mate...

There's a reason that all the hire firms use them!

Yeah, hire firms use them, because they are brilliant till they reach the age of 3. It's downhill all the way from them on.
we have a large number of 10 plates. They have had new engines, gearboxes, and the rust on them is unbelievable

I'm on my second vivaro, awesome!my mates company drive into Europe regularly he says the lads prefer to take a vivaro to a merc! really cheap for parts as the vivaro, primastar and traffic are identical, so loads of breakers etc, gearboxes are bad on 04 models, otherwise buy buy buy!!

I'm on my second vivaro, awesome!my mates company drive into Europe regularly he says the lads prefer to take a vivaro to a merc! really cheap for parts as the vivaro, primastar and traffic are identical, so loads of breakers etc, gearboxes are bad on 04 models, otherwise buy buy buy!!

Yes and what about the common fault with the injectors and the silly design where they get stuck in and the head has to be removed to get them out don't buy buy buy. Spent 3.8k in twelve months on a 58 plate with 50k miles on it

Bedford HA van would knock a few of these modern yokes in to a cocked hat. Points need regular looking at and speedo requires a slap now and again but getting on 40 years old so steady...

Bedford HA van would knock a few of these modern yokes in to a cocked hat. Points need regular looking at and speedo requires a slap now and again but getting on 40 years old so steady...

you still driving around in it?

Or....

just spend an extra 500 & get a transporter..

bought an 06 plate in 09 for £6k. Had it two years just a few niggles, then had to sell as had another nipper (only 3 seats), sold it for £5500 in 11.

compared to the others you'd might as well drive along chucking a tenner out the windows every 30 miles

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem with stuck injectors is common on alot of common rail diesels not just vauxhalls, same can go for any car or van you get good one's and you get bad one's, half the problems with vans when owned by a company they get screwed about everywhere and they dont care cause it not theirs, you only have to see them round towns reving the knackers of them like a boy racer, end of the day each to there own some people have vivaro's with no probs some do same as any vehicle

I had a 2002 vivaro and the gearbox went under warranty which was free swap just bit of hassle loosing your van for couple of weeks, after 3 years 60K miles on it with no bother, Bought a 2005 transit after this which is uncomfortable, noisy and I broke down many times although it never cost me anything to fix it, put 30K on this thing.
Then I got a 2005 transporter 2.5 tdi 130 lwb with no warranty as there expensive so got an older one just out of. There a good van and go like the clappers, but after 4 years and 60K miles things started going wrong, I spent £ 3500K on top end rebuild as the cam snapped, then i snapped a drive shaft, then the other side snapped, then the altenator went, so I got rid last year and bought a bran new vivaro Lwb 115 61 plate sportive.
This is my second vivaro and they drive really well and the sportive looks smart. I got three years warranty. £12500 plus vat off the net, delivered to my door. you cant get a smarter van for any less.

Reply to Vivaro or Transit?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net