Discuss volt drop calcs and 230 v in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jackhammerJIM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
why do we have to do the calcs to 230v when the supply never is 230v

measured voltage at source is 248 volts at the site i am on at the moment ,

can somebody shed some logic on the idea before i start engineering an 18 volt drop into my cable sizes

( a joke of course but why not ? ) :ihih:

230v is a nominal figure. In real life products rated at this nominal figure already have extra capabilities or tolerances engineered into their design which makes acceptable variations from the nominal figure acceptable.

230 is the nominal single phase voltage the dno's must provide as set out by the EU electrotecnical conformity commitee.

but as you say , i dont think i've ever seen less than 236-238v.

you could use the actual measured voltage for calculations as it would give you more favourable parameters to work with , although some may warn that a change in the network supply could see that voltage drop , thus leaving your cable assessments up sh*t creek.

but it will never happen in reality , the high voltage goons will just crank up the tappings at the sub-station ;-)

Using the nominal could leave you up **** creek. I did a install at 223V once! DNO informed, DNO not arsed!

What do the IET expect to happen where this occurs? Im a little confused here. If l listen to my maths teachers from sparky college, he said that a voltage drop can cause a circuit to overload.

Is that whats happening here, at the transformer perhaps? Ive no idea personally and would love to know the answer as ive never seen 223V anywhere before. Always been 236-253V...

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure that the minimum is 216V for tolerances allowable if l remember correctly. Please put me right if im talking piggie-excrement. I think its nominal voltage 230 -6%=13.8V which is 216.2V to +10%=23V which is 253V...

Im pretty sure that the minimum is 216V for tolerances allowable if l remember correctly. Please put me right if im talking piggie-excrement. I think its nominal voltage 230 -6%=13.8V which is 216.2V to +10%=23V which is 253V...

Aye, it states that in the documentation somewhere. Can't remember where ive read it, GN3 maybe...Don't get me to quote page, because that sir - i cannot.

why do we have to do the calcs to 230v when the supply never is 230v

measured voltage at source is 248 volts at the site i am on at the moment ,

can somebody shed some logic on the idea before i start engineering an 18 volt drop into my cable sizes

( a joke of course but why not ? ) :ihih:

It may be 248v today, 235v tomorrow, 224v next week on that site.
Which voltage are YOU going to use?

Another consideration is that high voltage drop in a circuit implies high circuit impedance. So variations in load will produce large changes in voltage. I suspect that this is one reason for the lower permitted VD where lighting is present, as changes in voltage, and therefore light output, are particularly noticeable with traditional lighting types. Of course, with LEDs supplied by regulated drivers, this isn't an issue.

Reply to volt drop calcs and 230 v in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock