Discuss Voltage issues in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cossie0_4

Hi got a r32gtr and having voltage issues
I've tested alternator direct 14.5v
tested battery 12.6
battery has been relocated into boot but I do a voltage check engine running 13.2 at batttery
if I connect meter at connector in engine bay for battery live and earth to body 13.2 if earth to engine 14.5
if I connect a earth lead from body to engine car won't start but if I attach jump lead from another car with engine running my car will start perfectly any help apreciated as ran out of ideas thanks

Did it work OK before you moved the battery to the boot?

Have you extended the battery earth to the boot or is the battery earthed directly in the boot?

Did the battery earth connect directly to the engine?

What size cable have you used to extend the battery leads?

There must have already been an engine to body earth strap, so fitting another should make no difference let alone prevent it from starting.

Yes it was fine before as battery been in boot a while I think it's since we put engine back in it did used to start but cranked slowly
battery didn't earth to engine but it does now as we changed it
battery is earth from battery to boot hinge and doesn't come completely from engine to battery
earth I put in is 16m 170amps
hope this helps

Yes it was fine before as battery been in boot a while I think it's since we put engine back in it did used to start but cranked slowly
battery didn't earth to engine but it does now as we changed it
battery is earth from battery to boot hinge and doesn't come completely from engine to battery

earth I put in is 16m 170amps
hope this helps
You may well find this is the problem, you need good continuity,are you relying on boot hinge body work to bat terminal ; if so is it secure and corrosion free . boot flor too?

I have put new earth cable on now earth from body to engine and alternator body to strut top and it def cranks faster but still a volt drop cheers

I have since added a earth to engine and a earth to alternator bracket both of which earth to the strut top and still the same cheers

Yeah , especially the horse power of that car . I missed the 16 mm

No earth doesn't go from boot to engine and what size cable should I get to replace
also what is a excepted volt drop from alternator to battery with it being in the boot thanks

You said earlier that you have earthed battery direct to engine , but then through boot hinge body work . You do not say what size cable you have used from battery to starting circuit; that car could draw 250 + amps during starting, and could have already damaged the cables you have used . this could be why the starting is deteriorating.
If the chassis is in good condition and no corrosion ,there is no reason why you could not bolt the earth to the boot floor direct to the earth on the battery. Make sure the floor is back to bright steel though , then protect it from corrosion. Make sure that the earth is definitely sound to the engine or wires will burn trying to carry starter current ,or any other high load.

No earth doesn't go from boot to engine and what size cable should I get to replace
also what is a excepted volt drop from alternator to battery with it being in the boot thanks

Volt drop is dependant on length and current, and the acceptable voltage tolerance.

What is the minimum voltage that should be delivered from the battery to the engine for it to start properly? This will depend on your particular starter motor.

Just as a reference point a Landrover has the battery under the passenger seat and has a 50mm cable to the starter motor for the approx 4' run.
To go the full length of a car I wouldn't be at all surprised if you needed 95mm or larger

Add to that if you have moved the battery to allow you to put an even bigger engine in?
You need to think of the cold cranking and duration of high current draw.

Reply to Voltage issues in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock