Discuss Voltage Levels in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
New to the forum..... finally getting with the times and going electronic! I wondered if anyone knows what the typical voltage levels are in domestic properties in Germany? I know they have an alleged similar infrastructure similar to ours at 230volts/50hz! But we all know with the supply authority we can see voltages in excess of 245volts and above! Cheers in advance.

In Germany the real nominal voltage is 220V/50hz, as is the vast majority of Western Europe. The make believe 230V harmonisation is just as much a joke in Europe as it is in the UK!! Nothing will change very quickly either, it'll be donkey's years before you see real world nominal 230 Volts throughout Europe and the UK....

Thanks for the reply engineer 54..... As you say the 230 volt cenelec European Harmonisation is never realistically going to happen, suppliers having to 'push the voltage out higher to over compensate for distances/volt drop and demand. I'm looking at a project out in Lichtenstein and with the equipment being quite voltage sensitive I was wondering if anyone had worked out there and knew of actual voltage levels when testing. I know that in Germany with the infrastructure of their grid under strain with the amount of PV and offshore turbines the voltage levels would be higher than average. Really don't want a trip out just to do some voltage measuring!!!

If the stuff you're working on is that sensitive, then you'll need some sort of voltage regulator/ stabilizer gizmo. Been a long time since i've worked in Germany, so can't comment on your statement regarding strains on their grid or local network systems...

Thanks again for the reply. The voltage reading is the reason I'm asking as the project is looking at is voltage stabilising technology but needed to know the sort of upper end average readings and was it similar to the UK levels of 245+ volts.

Think most voltage regulators can regulate quite high voltages anyway, iv seen some that can go as high as 270v, but its unlikely you will see voltages like that because equipment can be damaged.

Reply to Voltage Levels in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock