Discuss Voltage Optimisation & PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean Smith

I have fitted a 3Kw PV system to my house and was looking to fit a voltage optimisation unit to the incoming supply but was wondering if the lowering of the incoming voltage would affect the efficiency of the PV generation. Has anyone fitted 1 of these before and know if they are worth the extra expense? I am looking at the Tufflex unit or the V Phase.

check out recent threads on v-phase. the general consensus of opinion is that you'd be better off spending the money one of these would cost, down the pub.

If you fit something like a V-Phase then the PV must NOT be fed backwards through it. The PV would be connected separately to the origin of the installation.

I have fitted a Voltis unit for a customer, forget the V phase, 20 amp bypass and complicated to install.
The voltis has a 60 amp bypass, but fit the HD version, however your PV system must be connected before the input side of the unit,not on the output side.
Check your incoming voltage first though, if it is already low then it is pointless, in my area incoming supply tends to be 245V so to drop that down to 220v is worthwhile.
I hope this helps.

There are several threads, try the one on the electrical wiring theories forum (sorry, can't link as post wont be accepted if I do) or search for 'VPhase'.

I have a VPhase fitted, it probably saves something, but with my particular set up (e.g. almost 100% LED lighting), it's marginal and wouldn't have been worth fitting if I'd had to pay for it.

With the VPhase, the solar PV needs to connect to the unregulated (input) side, so it isn't affected by the lowering of the voltage to 220V. In fact, this is required by the GE83 rules (eg so that PV disconnects if abnormally high mains voltage).

There was an article in this weeks Sunday Times (25/3) that thought they were a good idea- but read a bit as if it was writen by the manufacturers.

I have fitted the Voltis HD without any problems , but the 6ft florescent in the garage has stopped working. I presume the voltage is too low for the fitting, has anyone else had this problem and is there a way round it other than a battenholder

I have not had any problems with florescent lights, and in one of mine the garage is full of the things.

The grid voltage in most areas can be between 216V-253V so to drop it to 220V should be fine, also, I believe your light should work OK down to 207V.
Have you tried a new starter?

i am led to believe vphase has two new models on offer the vx2 and the vx5 which i understand have different bypass currents on them. I cannot however find the gen on these products in order to give my opinion. I will however say (with a certain amount of trepidation) the tv program diy sos (episode can be found on youtube) did exactly as you are proposing to do; so i would suggest that if done correctly then you should have no problems

Earthstore I have just checked the starter and you were right it was a 230V starter, I changed it for a 220 and it's working again:hurray:

Reply to Voltage Optimisation & PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net