Discuss wago lighting connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Harry - if you need a maintenance free jb then yes the MF marked Wagobox must be used along with connectors from either their 222 or 773 range. I also use the Ashley J803 which comes in one unit for a fiver. Hope that helps :)

Hi Harry - if you need a maintenance free jb then yes the MF marked Wagobox must be used along with connectors from either their 222 or 773 range. I also use the Ashley J803 which comes in one unit for a fiver. Hope that helps :)
There is no "MF" mark on wago boxes though?

Wagos themselves come from Germany, are very good and can be used in 1001 situations. The Wagobox is an English accessory that represents our interpretation of what to do with Wagos, and it's not my favourite. It's difficult to get steel conduits into the entries (do you pull out the black bit for 25mm?), while there's not enough depth for MI seals so they have to stay outside. I never work with T+E so I can't say how well that fits in. But seriously, I don't like having the terminals inline with the cable entries - any movement of the cable in the clamp can put tension on the terminals - and there's no option to leave slack for retermination. If you look at a continental-style junction box done the proper way with the separated cable cores marshalled at the back then brought over themselves in a neat row at the front, you will see that it is impossible to stress the connections by moving the cables and there's lots of wiggle-room for maintenance, and it works just as well in adaptables and even BESAs. The Wagos are not locked in as they are in a Wagobox but if you building is shaking about enough for that to make a difference, you have more important things to worry about.

The whole MF thing is over the top IMHO, what's wrong with using MF connectors in a suitable enclosure of your choice? I would much rather use say an adaptable box of my choosing, making sure the cables are secured of course. The wagoboxes are too limiting as to their applications.

But seriously, I don't like having the terminals inline with the cable entries - any movement of the cable in the clamp can put tension on the terminals - and there's no option to leave slack for retermination.
I quite like Wagoboxes; use a lot of them. But I do agree that they'd be so much better without the internal dividers that lock the Wagos in place. They make it harder to fit and risk stressing the connection.

I see absolutely no reason why you can't put them in any suitable enclosure. It is a nonsense to suggest they are only MF if installed in one of those flimsy Wago boxes.

I see absolutely no reason why you can't put them in any suitable enclosure. It is a nonsense to suggest they are only MF if installed in one of those flimsy Wago boxes.
No doubting the common sense of this.
But apparently Mr Wago used their box and connectors together when being certified as MF. So neither is certified MF by themselves as I understand it.

I agree but to me it is not the enclosure which is MF. How do you go about fitted half a dozen cables into one.

If i had a situation where six separate cables were joined,i would not want it "MF",preferring to choose a better method,and making it accessible.

.....Or....one i viewed during a recent rip-out,where an enterprising spark,had thrust four joined T&E cables,into a fresh,halved 350ml tube of silicone sealant,and zip-tied it to the studding.
It looked like a fused stick of gelignite...

ot line products "eggs". decent amount of space inside.

Reply to wago lighting connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net