• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Wander lead wanted in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sambotc

I'm after a reasonably priced wander lead for end to end testing etc, don't mind second hand or brand new if anyone knows where I can get one for a decent price?

Cheers, Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Make your own !!
Get a £5 extension lead on a rewindable cassette. Take off the 240v extension lead from it completely, then use a long long length of speaker wire or thin flex.
Take the cassette to bits, wire the flex to the live terminal of one of the cassettes sockets and wind up up your long length of flex/wander lead.
Fit a crocodile clip on the end of the lead. Job done. !
You can use your socket and see plug adapter in the socket to connect your meter to it.
Should cost no more than a tenner.
Then make an A4 chart to record monthly resistance figures end to end of your new wander lead and it will help with your scheme provider to prove regular calibration checks of your device and also to give you heads up of any problems with your lead. !

Sounds like a plan!

I know the wander leads use tri rated cable which is a bit more expensive, what size flex would you use, 1.0mm?

Depends how good a job you do i guess, a bit of speaker cable wrapped around a lump of 2x2 and i'd agree! , but would a customer know what they are looking at anyway, if you use a cassette reel and do a good job?

I can't quite justify the cost of an off the shelf one £50-70 for 30mtrs of cable and a few fitting plus a plastic cassette? Unless i'm missing something? E bay 260935467744 and 130617659155 plus fittings, kind of makes sense?

Already got a metrel mi3002 unfortunately but thanks for the heads up. as you can tell i'm on a budget at the moment, setting up costs a lot of money so have to choose wisely and treat myself to luxury items when the pounds start rolling in...!

Sorry to bump this thread but do you guys use jump leads or is a connector block the prefered method? What do the scheme providers prefer to be used?
I am getting some kit together so was wondering if these are worth making up? If so can i use any insulated croc clips or do they have to meet a certain requirements.
Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave

My home made wander lead (100 feet, cassette mains, kept as is, fitted banana sockets heatshrinked on cable end & soldered, fitted to plate of cassette other end) subscribes to no regulations. Its an extension of a testing cable.

And it does not look DIY. And it cost 2/3 of 3/8ths of...

AND I enjoyed doing it.
Actually it looks just like the kewtech one but cost about 1/8th

thanks for the reply spartykus
I will be making my own wander lead as suggested.
I was wondering about the jump leads that i highlighted in my post,does anyone use them?
Im at college at the mo and the tutors dont recommend using them in case they are left on by accident,and also they may provide a poor contact,so they advise us on using connector blocks instead.
I was just wondering if they were used and if it would be worth making some up.
Regards....Dave

I use the manufactured jump leads from our sponsor. They have very strong springs in the clips.Used them on my last on site assessment and there was no problem doing that.

Sorry but for your tutors to say that jump leads are bad practice because they can be left on is a load old £&@&£.
There's a hundred other things you could forget to replace/connect back up inside a CU before you ever get close to leaving jumpers on..!
Paint them a bright colour if need be...!!
Plus you'll need to null them out on your meter when you use them,so you will soon learn if one of the clips as come loose on the wire.

But as with the aforementioned wander lead, very easy to make up. Mine does not look like a bodge job either as I took my time doing it.

Don't be seduced by fancy gear just because it has a brand name on it..

Reply to Wander lead wanted in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net