Discuss Wanted good sparky`s advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stuartd

I am in need for some advice we have a large garage around 20 meters from the house and we are wanting to put electric in we will be putting 4 double plug sockets single phase and 6 flouresent tubes i think they are around the 4ft size what braker / fuse would i need in the garage and what would be the correct cable from the house to the garage ? could you offer any advice
Cheer`s
Stu

Hello mate,

Dont want to pee on your bonfire, but there are a lot of other considerations to be made before you start running cables 20m to outbuildings.

Things like what is you current set up with your supply? Is it PME TNS TT etc, is your bonding up to the job, how are you going to install the cable to the garage. I am not trying to be clever or put you off, but a job like this needs a really good coat of looking at. there are also building regs to comply with, and so on.

I would get a local spark in to give you advise for a small fee, and then see if it is something you can do yourself.

Cheers........Howard

You will also find, ...that this work will require notifying to your LABC which can be a real whopper of a charge!!! You will find it far cheaper to employ a suitably qualified and scheme registered electrician to undertake this work. You could offer to make/dig the trench for the cable, to save some cash.

Hi
And thanks to you GOOD SPARKY`s i think i will look at digging the trench what sort of depth would it need to be ?
Thanks

Hi
And thanks to you GOOD SPARKY`s i think i will look at digging the trench what sort of depth would it need to be ?
Thanks
600mm deep would be ideal(if not on a farm); if you have an area that will not be disturbed then you can come up to 450mm.
You will need to line the trench with sand to protect the cable from penetration by stones, etc.
Best if you talk to the electrician to ask what he would need as he may have different ideas, but this is the basic standard.

Reply to Wanted good sparky`s advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net