Discuss Wanting to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kev v

hi I'm looking to become an electrician, I am 33 and want a change of career I have been looking at these fast track courses and wanted to know what all the professionals think, now I am not an idiot and know that I can't become a professional electrician with all the knowledge etc in 6 weeks and I know that I won't have any actual on site experience but would it be worth while doing one of these courses to get started. I know this has probably been asked a 1000 times but I can't see any recent information in this. Thanks for the help.

better off trying for a 2 evenings a week at a local college.2 - 3 years for core qualifications. the fast track courses will only give you the basics to be a "domestic installer". not recognised by industry. for that you need 2365, 17th ed. wiring regs, then on to nvq3.

Hi Kev, welcome to the forum !
My thought is ... short courses alone won't qualify you as a Spark. Please don't be put off, but it is a vocation that requires work experience too. Perhaps start with a study of wiring rules, which can be done via on line training and attending an exam. And try to get work helping a qualified Spark to gain experience and you will understand more about what training is best for you.

Last edited:
Hi @Kev v, welcome to ElectriciansForums.co.uk. It's never too late for change, and some of the short courses can get your foot in the door. The right way to go is college, but obviously it's costly and not fast at all.

First you want to seek what skills and qualifications you need by finding a few jobs you'd consider doing etc. Then find the right courses for those. There have been some dodgy courses knocking about, luckily less-so these days, that said you got X, Y and Z at the end of the course and actually you didn't, you got one part of X or Y or Z and still needed further training etc.

So seek a good provider, we have a couple of forum sponsors, TradeSkills4U and XS Training, both have good feedback on the forum that you can check, and they'll perhaps be able to guide you a bit better.

You might get the odd reply dissing "5 week wonders" - If you do, report the post, and we'll check and clear it up. There's a few old-timers on here who have a gripe about the industry allowing short courses, but take it out on those going on them rather than actually doing something about it.

All the best.

Ok thanks for your replies. I went into tradeskills4u And got quoted from access training in Cardiff for a 5 week course and that gave me
part-p
17th edition
Pat testing
C&g2392
C&g2395
So I'm guessing this is not worth taking on then??

Hi kev if you are going to do a course it should ideally be with worthwhile qualifications once completed. you should look at doing 2365 level 2 and 3 which you should still be able to do with tradeskills4u. These qualifications are the present industry recognised under pinning knowledge that would set you in good stead for employment in the industry. Once these are completed and you've found employment then you could gain experience and do the site based NVQ3 portfolio which then would let you be graded as an electrician by the JIB. The qualifications you've listed in post #5 are more add on qualifications to further your personal achievement once you have the core under pinning knowledge qualifications.

Reply to Wanting to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net