Discuss Warning Labels inside consumer unit lid in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Taken all labels off mine at home as when it was built someone stuck in right in the middle of the downstairs hallway wall.

All pretty pointless, never heard of any home owner or school caretaker Test a RCD, only a electrician should be working in it do duel colour is pointless, 230v isn't needed and next test date isn't needed on the CU as only needed at the origin.

The db would be fully labelled as required if it was for assessment by a scheme so don't see the difference but hey ho each to their own I guess.

They often fail to meet the required times when testing for an EICR or alteration/addition job due to not being operated for years, but after a couple of 'trips' they're generally fine again .

Really.........................................?

I simply don't agree.
Well surely it stands to reason that at the time of the change most Electricians would have been aware of it, but say in 20 or 30 years time many of the new breed will never have been come across red/yellow/blue and black cables.

I simply don't agree.

Next the IET will be getting us to code all red and black cables C3!
only if they're wrong way round. :p

Well surely it stands to reason that at the time of the change most Electricians would have been aware of it, but say in 20 or 30 years time many of the new breed will never have been come across red/yellow/blue and black cables.

But if they are competent sparks the would check that the "odd" red cables are live, and the black ones neutral.

I simply don't agree.

Next the IET will be getting us to code all red and black cables C3!

I still have some red sleeving left and use it on unmarked black switch wires whenever I come across them, it's annoying to find brown sleeve on both red and black on older wiring inside switches imo. :)

But if they are competent sparks the would check that the "odd" red cables are live (sic), and the black ones neutral.
It's not as straightforward with a three-phase installation though where blue could be either L3 or neutral and black could be either L2 or neutral. It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to warn people to verify what the conductors actually are.

Reply to Warning Labels inside consumer unit lid in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock