Discuss Warranty insurance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TAZ

-
Reaction score
Hi fellow sparks. This is for you folks that are with a part p scheme. Just as a matter of interest how many of your customers have taken up the warranty insurance since you first registered with them. I have to admit I don't push the boat out on this but enclose a copy of the warranty with the invoice but to date I have not had any one as far as I know that has followed it up. Has anyone got any percentages of take up or any figures known, I would be interested to know or if there are any other posts about this.
many thank taz

I will not sell ANY form of warranty and the one proposed by Elecsa a while back as MANDATORY on top of the Part P fee has gone very quiet!

We are supposed to be sparks, not Insurance sales people!

Unfortunately until the powers that be sort part P out once and for all we are required by said part P to make an optional 6year warranty available to clients.

We aren't allowed to actually sell the warranty due to the sale of such things being subject to FSA rules.
Personally I put a copy of the leaflet at the back of the paperwork when I hand it over.

Now the real question here is why does this thread have an aroma of pork luncheon meats about it?

I totally agree with you murdoch that's why i made the point about not pushing the boat out on this. As you have said the mandatory insurance has gone very quiet but i am interested to know how many times since the schemes started how many times it has actually been required.Are they making it mandatory because so few people are taking it out If it only lasts 6 years & if something is discovered after that time what happens in this case. I bought a new van last year & the lengths the sales guy went to get me to buy gap insurance was unbelievable they just could not get there head around the fact i did not want gap insurance & it was the same with the extended warranty on the washing machine. My point is i feel this is more about money yet again

This type of insurance is going to be the next big mis-selling scam out there... like pop to your local store buy a computer and they do there hardest to ram extended warranty cover down your throat... the reason for it been a big scam is your already covered by the sales of goods act 1979 which extends beyond the usual 1yr warranty of the item you bought.

Most white goods like washers, TV's etc etc have to give a designed life expectancy (variable depending on product) but most should see 4yrs + good service, now if its fails and you can provide proof that its down to premature parts failure and not any way your fault then you can expect a full repair or replacement for free... after 4yrs its gets harder to argue this point but i have had a washing machine fail at 3.5yrs warranty ran out on yr1 and taking the correct steps saw a brand new washer delivered free of charge and compensation for my money spent getting a fault report from a local repair/service company.

Its a liken to the banks mis-selling credit card cover when they used terminology of cover you benefited from taking out the service when you were already protected anyway by the banks themselves and the cover they have to give for lost or stolen cards and the mis-use of them.

If you now walk into some big store they have changed their wording of how they promote the extended warranty and now express it is for ''hassle free'' instant repair or replacement. Your paying a lot of money for the hassle free solution for a protection you already have.... I've never taken it out advised all my family not to and I have successfully had 3 items replaced outside warranty, get a repair charge given back to my mother for a computer hard drive failure after 2.5yrs - they required proof the computer hadn't failed due to misuse so I sent themtheir own invoice that worded it as a failed computer component .. although its best to have an independent fault diagnosis before sending the item back as thisis key to getting it done for nothing.

As for the theme of the thread what exactly does this cover give you that the customer doesn't already have?

The idea is that the warranty will pay for the whatever remedial work is required should the original installer have ceased trading, died of electric shock, been put in prison for electrocuting someone, been caught by trading standards etc etc

The idea is that the warranty will pay for the whatever remedial work is required should the original installer have ceased trading, died of electric shock, been put in prison for electrocuting someone, been caught by trading standards etc etc

I see; not in the same context then as the extended warranty set up.. but surely there are other measures that can protect the customer in such circumstances as oppose to laying out yet more financial burden on householders ...considering these events are isolated incidents in the scope of all the work carried out across the country it would be a massive profit making scheme if it takes off successfully but at least they are not having it rammed down their throats with scaremongering tactics.

The warranty insurance as far as i understand it is to cover for remedial works if it is found to be non compliant with the building regulations at a later date. If the electrical contractor has gone out of business the warranty removes this liability from the house holder. Does anyone know if this same warranty covers for work that has been started & the electrical contractor goes into liquidation half way through for example but the work that has been carried out thus far is compliant with the building regulations but needs to be completed?

I was under the impression that the scheme providers already provided this as a benefit to householders who use a registered member of a scheme(i.e remedial works if found to be non compliant and the installer cannot put right), so just sounds like another money grab by scheme providers

Quote from NICEIC website

Platinum Promise and Complaints Procedure
We expect all NICEIC registered contractors to provide a quality service to their customers. We stand behind the quality of NICEIC registered contractors and we believe that as a consumer you should have peace of mind. Our Platinum Promise means that if you are not happy with the work that is done by an NICEIC registered contractor and we agree that it is deficient we will help to put it right.
We believe it is important to give contractors the opportunity to work with their customers to resolve any issues. Issues or complaints against the standard of work should be raised with the original contractor first. If this does not resolve the issue a complaint can be made to NICEIC.
The Platinum Promise applies for up to six years from the completion of work by a NICEIC registered contractor and has a limit of £25,000 per installation. For full details, terms and conditions information please visit our complaints page

Last edited:
Sounds like yet another Scam to relieve themselves of ''Any'' liability that there registered members may put them in, under their own terms and conditions of warranties afforded to customers using electricians/DI's carrying their Logo!! Along with a nice little earner from the insurance companies in the way of commissions.

I wonder just how many payouts the Scams have actually had to pay out from there own insurance cover?? Not many i warrant, and in those cases where they have, the customers probably had to wait a very long time indeed!!

Reply to Warranty insurance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net