Discuss Washing Machine Into A Fcu? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gerry24

Been asked to take 2 fcu's off a ring main at the same point to supply a combi-boiler and a washing machine. Customer wants to have the washing machine connected directly to the fcu and not via a 3 pin plug. I'm not sure about chopping the plug of the washing machine, although I can't find anything anywhere which says I can't do it except that I'm thinking it will then become fixed equipment rather than portable. Any views?

How would the machine be isolated/serviced/repaired? Doesn't seem a particularly sensible route to go. Also will probs be used to try and invalidate any warranty on the appliance by the manufacturer in the event of a fault.

i was thinking if i had to get in behind my washer to wire it into an fcu i would have to be 3 stone wet through and hands like inspector gadgets its bad enough getting the plug in behind it,

Been asked to take 2 fcu's off a ring main at the same point to supply a combi-boiler and a washing machine. Customer wants to have the washing machine connected directly to the fcu and not via a 3 pin plug. I'm not sure about chopping the plug of the washing machine, although I can't find anything anywhere which says I can't do it except that I'm thinking it will then become fixed equipment rather than portable. Any views?

Hmmm. Sounds odd.

Preference would be to put the boiler on the FCU certainly, but the appliance, if anything ought to be on an unswitched SSO behind it and a 20A DP/neon Switch above counter height.

As others have said, would make servicing the appliance a proper PITA.

Thanks for your replies. Customer wants the washer on an fcu as it will be in a cupboard next to the bathroom. The cupboard will, in fact, be a full height stud wall between washer and bathroom so not actually in the bathroom. I think he thinks it would be safer as it's next to the bathroom. But I agree that there could be issues with servicing the machine and any warranties would probabaly be void. I think I will advise him against it and suggest a socket (fixed to the solid wall not the cupboard wall of course.)

Reply to Washing Machine Into A Fcu? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net