Discuss Washing Machine Pump Failing Pat Test in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

Hey all,

I pat tested my washing machine at home yesterday and it's failing the insulation resistance test, giving a reading of 0.87 Mohm.

After some investigating, I found that by unplugging the drain outlet pump, the insulation resistance reading is now >199 Mohm. Therefore the pump is causing the failure of pat test.

Does this mean that the pump is due to fail in the near future or do they normally cause problems with pat tests?

Thanks

I'd also replace it because chances are it will get progressively worse over time. The most common cause of low IR readings on most pumps is failure of the shaft seal allowing moisture along the shaft and onto the windings.

It's a long shot but you could check for something else leaking above the area of the pump, if this is the case then you could try drying the pump out after fixing the leak.

I'd also replace it because chances are it will get progressively worse over time. The most common cause of low IR readings on most pumps is failure of the shaft seal allowing moisture along the shaft and onto the windings.

It's a long shot but you could check for something else leaking above the area of the pump, if this is the case then you could try drying the pump out after fixing the leak.
their only crappy little shaded pole jobs anyway them washing machine pumps....and an easy fit/replacement...

Do you have rcd/rcbo on the supply to it?
Why did you feel the need to test it?

Boydy

Yes it is protected by RCD, however, I will be renting the house out in the next week and with a reading that poor, chances are the pump is going to fail soon full of water.

Don't fancy a call from the tenant with that issue

Just a thought.

The pumps connections are Live and Neutral which is just a continuous coil.

When doing an insulation resistance test, would it be not be picking up a short between the live and neutral?

Maybe a program needs selecting first?

Just a thought.

The pumps connections are Live and Neutral which is just a continuous coil.

When doing an insulation resistance test, would it be not be picking up a short between the live and neutral?

When doing the IR test, your PAT machine will connect L and N together, then put the 500V dc between that and E (for a Class I appliance).
So the test completely disregards anything connected between L & N, i.e. the load.

or I fix 3-4each day, working 7days a week which I do. W/M doesnt take more than 10minutes to diagnose and 5-20minutes to repair if got parts, which are not always needed.

shaft replacement is cost of £150 if I had to do it, I always tell customer its not worth it, as too challenging and time-taking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you do the test on 250volts as I had this exact same thing on a washing machine last week,on 500v it failed but on 250v the reading was 1.49 and it passed.
Depending on the machine you can get false readings.

Clive.

Over a hundred each month means you're fixing over 5 washing machines each day.....

Or maybe 2 or 3 really,really bad days doing 20-30 !!!!!

agree though re: some repairs, the time involved in stripping down a machine to replace drum bearings for example......just not worth it unless the thing is some sort of £2k fortnum & mason washing machine.

which is a shame because I think as a tack in life it is MUCH better to fix anything that can be fixed than....throw it away.

a bit like our tumble dryer. came from council tip - £5 in the lads' tea fund. replaced 2 thermal overloads with ones from the old scrapper. still going strong 5 years on.

a bit like our tumble dryer. came from council tip - £5 in the lads' tea fund. replaced 2 thermal overloads with ones from the old scrapper. still going strong 5 years on.

Agreed!
My 2nd W/M in about 30 years is still going as good as new.
Had a few parts off 99p jobbies off ebay and several re-brushings.

Reply to Washing Machine Pump Failing Pat Test in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net