Discuss Waste Carrier Registration in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

He was a proper self important t### mate, I did tell him I was too busy to drop everything and pander to his nonsense. :wink: He was one of those older people who thinks everybody should be running round for him, even said help myself to tea provided I made him one at the same time when I was working there !:smile5:

Put his salt in his sugar bowl when he's not looking.... That'll get him, although you would be long gone before he sussed!

Can't believe you need some kind of license to scrap stuff....thankfully there's no requirements where I am. I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I took my old copper immersion heater cylinder to the scrap yard and got about 1.2K cash for it. It's only about 60 quid in UK currency but it funded a very nice extended lunch :).

Can't believe you need some kind of license to scrap stuff....thankfully there's no requirements where I am. I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I took my old copper immersion heater cylinder to the scrap yard and got about 1.2K cash for it. It's only about 60 quid in UK currency but it funded a very nice extended lunch :).
You don't Marvo, its just a load of politically correct (s)crap that no one with any sense takes any notice of. Round my way, you just have to show it the pavement for a few hours and some fully licensed, insured and council registered/monitored eastern EU type will come and kindly relieve you of it. Good job we have these folks now or we would have mountains of illicit scrap filling our garages and spare rooms and not be able to sleep at night worrying about what we are going to do with it all. They even take the kids bikes if they leave them lying about making the place look untidy.

You don't Marvo, its just a load of politically correct (s)crap that no one with any sense takes any notice of. Round my way, you just have to show it the pavement for a few hours and some fully licensed, insured and council registered/monitored eastern EU type will come and kindly relieve you of it. Good job we have these folks now or we would have mountains of illicit scrap filling our garages and spare rooms and not be able to sleep at night worrying about what we are going to do with it all. They even take the kids bikes if they leave them lying about making the place look untidy.

I used to get 3 or 4 vans a day come around looking for scrap.
Now it's not even 1 a week since the bottom fell out the scrap market.

I haven't scrapped T&E recently. I can't be ar*sed to strip it. I have probably got from a recent rewire about 300m's in total, about 200m of 2.5mm and the rest 1.5mm. What should price should be asking for from a scrapper? I am not that bothered but in reality but the more beer tokens the better!

I haven't scrapped T&E recently. I can't be ar*sed to strip it. I have probably got from a recent rewire about 300m's in total, about 200m of 2.5mm and the rest 1.5mm. What should price should be asking for from a scrapper? I am not that bothered but in reality but the more beer tokens the better!

Last time I weighed some unstripped in, it was around £10 per rubble bag. That was a while ago though. Stripped is a good bit more, but a pita to do!

The amount of d rap cable i have and what it's worth, there is zero point in saving it to weigh in as its too much hassle, I took several bin liners full down last time and got about £30.

I always leave all waste with the client including all scraps of cable. My wheely bin fills up too quick without all my customers rubbish too!

I'd expect any tradesman working in my house to clear away any and all waste created by their work. Am I in the minority ?

I would take the debris from the dust sheet with me, but pretty much everything else is left. If any floorboards are up I would never ever ever ever ever deposit any crap under them! I sweep up Andy, and will bag up any rubbish for the client, I evenb get a couple of wet wipes out to clean off any dusty areas. But I would normally leave old CUs, switches etc with them to bin.

I know a plumber who was doing a bathroom refit in an empty rental. The owner of this property was a complete and utter arris to every one, so the plumber shoved the entire old bathroom suite in the loft! Saying that I think this particular plumber would have done it to a nice landlord also.

Last edited:
I'd expect any tradesman working in my house to clear away any and all waste created by their work. Am I in the minority ?

Well I clean up thoroughly and in quite a few cases the areas worked in end up cleaner than before I started. But the customer requested the work so I don't think it's unreasonable for them to take responsibility for rubbish disposal. [Bagged of course]

Seems I am in the minority then.
Good job the roofer who was round at mine in February didn't take the same line or I'd be staring at a yard full of laths and slate right now. ;)

Seems I am in the minority then.
Good job the roofer who was round at mine in February didn't take the same line or I'd be staring at a yard full of laths and slate right now. ;)
That's probably because he's flogged your slates to the reclamation yard. :)

That's probably because he's flogged your slates to the reclamation yard. :)

I was all for that. With them being 100 years old I was keen to see them recycled or re-used. "Nah these are too small, it's the large ones that fetch the money" was the line.
They all got skipped.

Reply to Waste Carrier Registration in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net