Discuss Water feature supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all. I got called out to a lady who had received a slight tingle through the wet grass when standing near her water feature. I dug around near the feature to find the flex which comes with the unit had been very poorly glanded into a JB and another flex glanded into it run under the patio slabs back to a plug top in the garage. The JB was full of condensation. There is enough flex on the water feature to reach the garage but obvioulsy I can't just bury this.

I was thinking armoured up to as close as poss to the unit and then JB to the flex. IP65 or above box and bury the lot 500mm tape over back fill and run back to the garage. Sound acceptable?

Other option is armoured to an IP65 socket outlet and plug the water feature in but there is no where really near the feature where the socket could be discreetly mounted its in an open part of the garden. All buried would be best.

Any tips?

Is it a 30mA RCD or is it faulty? I am surprised it had not tripped with the leakage to earth you described in your initial post. - May be worth checking.
Yes, first question I asked the customer when she called me was did anything trip, she said not. First thing I did when I got to site was tested the RCD and it was all fine. I can only assume it was a very high resistance leakage to earth hence < 30mA and why she only got a tingle and not a bolt and why the RCD did not trip.

Did you test the RCD using the manual test button or actually measure its trip timings?

I was thinking armoured up to as close as poss to the unit and then JB to the flex. IP65 or above box and bury the lot 500mm tape over back fill and run back to the garage. Sound acceptable?

This bit doesn't sound good to be buried underground.

Did you test the RCD using the manual test button or actually measure its trip timings?
Yes, I got my meter out the van and did a proper test.

Anyway, job completed today. On ripping out the old mess it was quite apparent it had been installed by a complete muppet although the client assured me it had been done my an electrician. The 3 core flex from the pump had been really badly JB'd to a 2 core flex and buried unprotected back to the garage i.e. completely un-earthed. I told the client she was extremely lucky this could have been a lot worse.

I ended up running an armoured into a IP66 wiska box. Within the wiska box I then used a smaller connector box to make my connection to the flex to the pump using WAGO lever cage connectors. I then packed around the connectors with Prysmian R391 sealing putty (brilliant stuff, not used it before) to make the connection water tight. Buried all, marker tape over, back filled and paving back on top.

Tin Hat On...

Water feature supply IMG_20170602_140050 - EletriciansForums.net Water feature supply IMG_20170602_140113 - EletriciansForums.net Water feature supply IMG_20170602_140121 - EletriciansForums.net

I can't comment on the Wiska box and putty stuff, we don't get either item here so I've never used them. I'd have just left a bit of spare SWA cable in the ground for future and fitted a resin filled SWA joint to connect the flex assuming no local isolator or OCPD is required.

Reply to Water feature supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock