Discuss Watts whats - maximum wattage ratings for incandescent - what about LED's in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

This question has always puzzled me - hopefully you will be able to help?

I'm looking at replacing my main lounge light, as it's current light low voltage transformer has failed - so I want to replace it with a mains voltage light, to prevent any more transformer issues in the future.

I've seen the replacement light fitting I want fitted, which takes, 4 x 40 watts max, ES/E27 standard bulbs - although, for a main light, in a 5m square lounge, I'm concerned it will not be bright enough for my requirements...

... so, I though, as I can have 40w max incandescent bulbs, could I use 9W or even 12w E27 LED bulbs instead? As my understanding is that LED run a lot cooler than incandescent bulbs?

I ask, as the supplier of the light fitting, says I must stick to 6w LED (40w equivalents) and not go higher?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Jamie

I don't see why I would think the 40W only refers to incandescent lamps. Some LEDs can run warm but not like standard bulbs. As a rule of thumb times the LED rating by 7 to give approximate equivalent to incandescent lighting eg. The 6W LED x 7 = 42W.

Hi westward10,

Many thanks for you reply - I can't see why not either?

It difficult to get a mains voltage, light fitting these days, with a light intensity (halogens to be discontinued?) to compare with a 150w output of a incandescent bulb - ah the good old days!

Jamie

Yes it's sometimes a source of wonder the things manufacturers say in their instructions. There will be a reason, it's just that sometimes I haven't a clue what it could be.
Due to low power consumption the LEDs run cooler at the same physical size and so there will be no everheating problems in a fitting designed for 40W bulbs using 9W LED.

Hi westward10,

Many thanks for you reply - I can't see why not either?

It difficult to get a mains voltage, light fitting these days, with a light intensity (halogens to be discontinued?) to compare with a 150w output of a incandescent bulb - ah the good old days!

Jamie
Manufacturers state the worst case scenario and this would be incandescent lamps. Maybe in this modern world it should be explained better.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your help, very much appreciated :)

I've found the light fitting manufactures website (not the supplier), who says;

Open Lamp Max (W)40 and LE Lamp Max (W)13 - so if I stay under LED 13w I'm sorted!

The following also echos what you all have said;

Can I use a higher Watt LED equivalent bulb in a 60W fixture? - https://www.earthled.com/blogs/light-2-0-the-earthled-blog-led-lighting-news-tips-reviews/36300676-can-i-use-a-higher-watt-led-equivalent-bulb-in-a-60w-fixture

Jamie

wot they all said. the 40watt guide is to prevent heat damage. 9wattLED lamps would cause no problems, if you can find 9watt in E27s. you could go for smething like this for super bright:

20 Watt E27 Corn LED Bulb - 120x SMD 5050 - https://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/20-watt-e27-led-bulb-120x-smd-5050.html

Watch out for the Lightrabbit guarantee small print. It is a 2 year guarantee only, with a 5 year warrenty available if purchased by directly by the end users only, so, lights supplied through electricians are only ever guaranteed for two years.

Quote from website after searching for details.

“When purchasing LED Spot Lights and LED Bulbs from LED Supplies (UK) Limited, LightRabbit Limited or a subsidiary, you automatically receive a 2 year warranty. This entitles you to an unlimited number of replacements for any failed LED Spot Lights and LED Bulbs for the duration of the warranty and it doesn’t cost you a single penny extra.

You also have the option to extend this warranty to 5 years, just complete our Extended Warranty form within 90 days of your purchase and return it us. If you have any questions regarding the warranty or require any further information, then please contact us on 0800 080 3201.”

Reply to Watts whats - maximum wattage ratings for incandescent - what about LED's in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net