Discuss Website builder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

t-s

I've been looking into building a website to promote my business, had a read through some threads on here and seems like a lot of people have had the same idea. Just wondering what people use to build them, I have registered on wix and their website builder seems ok for what I need, but I also want to optimise it so it will come high up on google. So just looking for any advice and links to people's own websites for ideas.
cheers

I used this:How to Host your Website on Google App Engine for Free

And made a website, it still needs loads of work but it only cost me £32 for two years domain name with no whois lookup. There are plenty of guides on the internet for html.
In Firefox if you right click and select page source, it shows the html for the current page, can be useful.
for that price you dont need to know any html though, i pay £7 a year for the domain name for one of my games.

I used Namo web editor and NameHog for the primary hosting. Secondary hosting was split between Oslo and Hanover universities servers (don’t ask how I pulled that off).

I found Namo very easy to use and gave professional results.

I used Namo web editor and NameHog for the primary hosting. Secondary hosting was split between Oslo and Hanover universities servers (don’t ask how I pulled that off).

I found Namo very easy to use and gave professional results.
whats that like? last time i made one was a combination of dreamweaver and notepad

I could post a page created in Namo, but I'd get banned.

I found it easier to use than DreamWeaver without any discernable difference.

The site started off on DreamWeaver as my then GF set it up without telling me, first I knew of it was when the bill arrived from NameHog. I went wappy at her at first and then thought "why not".
She suggested Namo for me to continue building the site when she saw me making a complete hash of DreamWeaver.

I’d already learnt page layout in Quark a few years earlier. At the time it was the only format printing houses would accept for making page foils so I didn’t have much choice. Quark is the most bloody minded program I’ve ever come across. Photoshop wasn’t much better back then.

I could post a page created in Namo, but I'd get banned.

I found it easier to use than DreamWeaver without any discernable difference.

The site started off on DreamWeaver as my then GF set it up without telling me, first I knew of it was when the bill arrived from NameHog. I went wappy at her at first and then thought "why not".
She suggested Namo for me to continue building the site when she saw me making a complete hash of DreamWeaver.

I’d already learnt page layout in Quark a few years earlier. At the time it was the only format printing houses would accept for making page foils so I didn’t have much choice. Quark is the most bloody minded program I’ve ever come across. Photoshop wasn’t much better back then.
ill have a look, i got used to dreamweaver because i had to use it at college its bloody expensive for what it is but then most adobe software is overpriced

How many phone calls do you get per day from companies trying to design a website for you………. jeezuz, must be a lot of web designers fresh out of university or something. I purchased domain name and web hosting from 123reg.com and then created my own website on iWeb on my apple mac.

How do you get to the top of google? also…. I got a phone call claiming that if your website isn't 'mobile phone' compatible it won't show up on a google search, is this true?

How do you get to the top of google? also…. I got a phone call claiming that if your website isn't 'mobile phone' compatible it won't show up on a google search, is this true?
nope and to be at thr top you have to pay Google.

google and other search engines check for a robot.txt file before they crawl and index your website.

www.fortheloveofseo.com/blog/seo-basics/tutorial-robots-txt-your-guide-for-the-search-engines/

if you add a lot of things that people might search for looking for an electrician in your area then this will help boost your hits.

by adding loads of town names, couple postcodes etc will all help (people tend to say search for "electrician derby/ electrician alfreton" etc)

have a look at that link and it will help

nope and to be at thr top you have to pay Google.

google and other search engines check for a robot.txt file before they crawl and index your website.

www.fortheloveofseo.com/blog/seo-basics/tutorial-robots-txt-your-guide-for-the-search-engines/

if you add a lot of things that people might search for looking for an electrician in your area then this will help boost your hits.

by adding loads of town names, couple postcodes etc will all help (people tend to say search for "electrician derby/ electrician alfreton" etc)

have a look at that link and it will help
Unless you are talking about the sponsored links, you don't have to pay google anything to be top of page 1.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm just going to carry on with the wix editor for the moment, buy a .co.uk domain and possibly look into email hosting too and just see how it goes. Been doing some reading on seo and doesn't sound too complicated tbh so I will do my best with that also.

If you’re getting on OK with the free package then stick with it.

DreamWeaver and Namo are really for building quite complex sites and take a lot of time and effort to the get the best out of them.

I used wordpress for my business site, quite easy to get the hang of and amongst other things it builds mobile friendly sites.

Reply to Website builder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock