Discuss weird lighting fault in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

An Electrician and his Avometer
It was at one time, like the Lone ranger and his trusted horse Trigger
weird lighting fault {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
, couldn't get anywhere without the other

Sadly my own passed away quite a few years ago,stolen it was,sob,I still miss her though,sob

That picture has an uncanny resemblence to mine,where did you happen upon it tel

that particular one is at present on ebay. there's a few on. ranging from a few quid upwards. my 2 aran older model 8 ans a 7.

edit: marston's pedigree is affecting my shpellinge

Last edited:
Check your meter, Ive had allsorts of strange voltages.
Once had 382v on what should have been a 230 circuit just because the batteries running flat.

Mine was a model 8 mk 3 complete with 200A shunt and 5KV Aux transformer, I was gutted when the kit was nicked.

Both the add on bits were from about the 50’s, beautiful varnished teak cases. Bloody death traps, but impressive when you got them out of their leather cases. Never had the bottle to use the transformer above 1.5KV even though I bench tested it to 5KV DC to earth and between windings. I might be daft, I’m not suicidal!

Another thought, seeing as its an emergency light in a theatre, there is not a sort of central battery system supplying it is there??? this used to be used a lot for cinemas,theatres etc and would account for the 110V being so perfect on your meter.

Just an idea to throw into the pot

Nick

Hi
there's no central battery unit. its a dedicated DB just for em lights.
i've been told to Code 1 it as possible bad earth and that a different company will carry out the fault finding/repairs.
by the way ive finished testing the theatre now. total of 94 DBs, 643 section F observations including 93 code 1s.

by the way ive finished testing the theatre now. total of 94 DBs, 643 section F observations including 93 code 1s.

That sounds like many theatres I've been in ;) - two MCBs being clamped to the fly rail (not in any form of enclosure) being one of the most amusing (electrically) things I've seen..

i found a 3 phase board that had been converted to single phase by linking across red yellow and blue.....fair enough, but the supply cable was 50mm red.......and they'd linked between with 16mm earth!!

One I came across a lot on old 3Ph 110V distribution was old EE SS type DP boards used for 3Ph. This was 25+ years ago. Quite ingenious, cut the bus-bars and put a link cable in. Bloody confusing for a wet behind the ears newbie.

One apprentice was killed by one of these boards he stuck his fingers down the back of the fuses and found the bare bus-bars.

View attachment 7963

Reply to weird lighting fault in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock