Discuss Wet room shower area in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Done a periodic test and failed a spur unit which was supplying a hair dryer hanging up in wet room in a commercial building the spur was less than 3 metres from the edge of zone 1 so this is why I failed it gave it a code 2 now the client has questioned it as they don't want to move the hair dryer can someone confirm that I'm right or wrong and have I coded it correctly

Done a periodic test and failed a spur unit which was supplying a hair dryer hanging up in wet room in a commercial building the spur was less than 3 metres from the edge of zone 1 so this is why I failed it gave it a code 2 now the client has questioned it as they don't want to move the hair dryer can someone confirm that I'm right or wrong and have I coded it correctly

Is there a right and wrong? You have been tasked with the report and its your decision, as long as you can back up your judgement then who can say tour wrong.

Personally i would ask the question, could the hairdryer head come in contact with the water from the shower? If yes definately a C2.

It's socket outlets not spur units that have to be at a distance of >3M from the outer edge of zone 1. What zone is this sour unit and hair dryer actually in or is it outside the zones?

Yes I think the hair dryer could come into contact with the shower I no no one would be stupid enough to leave shower on and then use hair dryer but its possible haha

The hair dryer and spur are out the zone but the spur is less than 3 m away from the edge of zone 1 what's the difference between a spur and a socket in this case to me it's the same

I guess in theory a spur feeds an appliance that is secured or doesn't move, with a socket you have a portable appliance which come with various lengths of leads, which in theory could move into other zones.

Yeah it seems the standard length for an appliance flex is 3m which is my understanding for the reasoning behind the 3m rule. If the hairdryer flex is shorter than that then there's no chance of the appliance coming into the zones.

How do you judge/measure zones in a shower wet room?? The whole floor area is the shower tray!!

As for a hair dryer in a typical bathroom setting, there are made for purpose hair dryer units that are fitted to the wall with a limited cord length.

Yes I think the hair dryer could come into contact with the shower I no no one would be stupid enough to leave shower on and then use hair dryer but its possible haha

Don't you believe it with some daft pictures I have seen where an extension lead is balanced on flip flops in a pool full of water.

that's my pool......only way to power the phone at the time. got a IP68 socket installed now.

Reply to Wet room shower area in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock