Discuss What 18v drill to go for in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leestocks

Hi guys and girls

My 18v milwakee drill burnt out today when I was drilling 50mm holes in trunking, so Im in the market for a new 18v drill driver. Does anyone know of any great drills or of any drills to avoid.

I can tell you to stay away from milwakee, I never liked the drill from day one, slow, weak and only lasted just over a year.

Many Thanks
Lee Stocks

Hi guys and girls

My 18v milwakee drill burnt out today when I was drilling 50mm holes in trunking, so Im in the market for a new 18v drill driver. Does anyone know of any great drills or of any drills to avoid.

I can tell you to stay away from milwakee, I never liked the drill from day one, slow, weak and only lasted just over a year.

Many Thanks
Lee Stocks

how did you kill it doing that?

did you buy one of the weaker ones. they do quite a few models with different ratings etc, same as most manufacter's these days

As above, get a new one for nowt mate. All my milwaukee stuff is registered just in case it dies. Was it the C18PD or the HD18PD ?
I have the C18PD and yes it is slow even on speed 2, but weak ? never! Oodles of torque and never skips a beat.
Get yer receipt out!

if you wanted the more powerful drill i would have gone for the hd18pd.

by weaker do you mean the rpm? it states that on spec page when you buy the drill

I found the milwakee would slow much more under strain i.e. when drilling with a hole saw through metal or larger with larger wood bits.

The milwaukee motors are designed to cut out if too much pressure applied, it is to prevent uneccesary damage and burn out of batteries. The secret is to use sharp bits and let the drill do the work.

The milwaukee motors are designed to cut out if too much pressure applied, it is to prevent uneccesary damage and burn out of batteries. The secret is to use sharp bits and let the drill do the work.

Thank you for your advise, but i can assure you i use sharp bit, and its not the battery thats burnt out its the motor. My understanding of milwakee is that if the battery gets to hot or is to over worked then the battery cuts out and you have to dock it in the charger for a few seconds then you can use it again, a safety device to prevent battery damage.

Anyway I'm no closer to getting any recomedations for my next drill can anyone help with that.

Screwfix are doing a decent deal on Hitachi this weekend, haven't any experience of them myself but heard good things. Hope the link works as was taken from my mobile.

http://m.screwflix..com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-ds18dcl-18v-li-ion-combi-drill-driver-twin-pack/25400?cm_mmc=Email-_-E13W16SAT-_-Stickies-_-Hitachitwinpack

go to elex next month and see if there's any good deals on.

Can easily recommend a Bosch GSB-2-Li 18V. Very compact, great for getting in between joists. Bags of torque. Need at least 3Ah batteries. The 1.3Ah that's also out there doesn't last 5 minutes. For info, GSR's are drill drivers, GSB's are drill combi's.

I've just bought a Milwaukee 18v fuel combi.i think it's quite good.
ive got a 21 v Panasonic that I just can't kill after 4 years and the batteries are the best in any drill I've had
ive bought some metabo stuff recently and find it solid

They have an offer on at screwfix on the bosch 18v combi for 99 inc vat. Only the 1.5 battery though. Iv had makita twinpack combi & impact for over 2 years and they have been brilliant

I have several 18V drills, the one I use most commonly is a DeWalt 18V XRP, it is 9 years old, has been abused and well overworked and yet it still goes one..the only bummer for me is the batteries are starting to show their age and charge cycle limitations..Drill is ruddy excellent.

I also have a Makita 18V that is about 5 years old...damn good drill till some oik nicked the case with the charger and spare battery in, so this does nothing these days as I have not been arsed to buy a new charger etc.

I also have a pair of Ryobi's that I bought in an emergency about 7 years ago, I was doing surveys so no tools with me, needed one to solve a serious issue I found on a site so i bought these Ryobi's at about £120 the pair..not the most powerful, batteries have always been less robust in life span that the more expensive brands, but they are quality for what you pay and they are good enough for most things. You can now get Li-Ion batteries for them that fit straight into the tools too..

Hi guys and girls

Many Thanks
Lee Stocks

A like for like Milwaukee drill with any of it's competitors, will out perform and out last that competitor product. So god knows what you have done to your drill?? Obviously something, that you can't claim against, with the excellent 3 year warranties that Milwaukee gives with all it's products.

Our main contractor on this project, as on other previous projects, all have heavily invested in Milwaukee power tools (of all types), both battery powered and mains lead supplied.... I borrowed one to do some DIY work at my apartment, and i can honestly say, it was the probably the most powerful and well balanced drill i'd ever used.

Thanks everyone im going to start looking at the makita and the panasonic.

Engineer54 just to let you know i treat my tool with repected and find the milwakie ive got doesnt compare with other 18v drill ive used and owned in the same oruce band.

Thanks everyone im going to start looking at the makita and the panasonic.

Engineer54 just to let you know i treat my tool with repected and find the milwakie ive got doesnt compare with other 18v drill ive used and owned in the same oruce band.

Apart from drilling lots of large holes in steel such as 50mm as you have already said, when the max stated drilling capacity for steel for your drill model is 13mm. Which is probably what's burnt it out.

Reply to What 18v drill to go for in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock