Discuss What am I Qualified to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BrawnPrawn

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I completed my C&G 2330 NVQ level 3 apprenticeship back in 2009.

I have done my 17th edition since then and have my 2394 initial verification qualification.

I have only ever worked on commercial buildings for large companies, but am always asked by friends and family to do electrical work in their homes, which I am entirely confident in doing, but am not sure if my qualifications permit me.

Am I legally allowed to do work in people's homes with the qualifications I have? Or do I need Part P? And what if it's a council/rented property?

If I am allowed, can I self certificate the work I do? Or do I need to be NIC registered?

Sorry about all the questions. If even one is answered I will be grateful.

Thanks

I am trying to clarify whether or not I would have to get my Part P before I was legally allowed to work on someone's home, or are the qualifications I have sufficient.

Domestics beyond Minor Works or in a special location tends to be a lot easier if you register with a CPS. Your quals would seem sufficient and they would interview you to confirm :)

Thanks. So where would I stand if it was Minor Works? If I'm only adding a few sockets to an existing ring for example, would I need to be registered with a CPS? Or would a simple Minor Works Certificate be sufficient.

So best you read the latest copy of part P then.... Wales is on the previous version, and it doesn't apply in Scotland or northern Ireland!

In your OP you asked about self certifying. Presumably you would still issue a minor works cert even if you didn't notify?

I understand that all work needs a certificate to declare its compliance with regs, It's the notifying I'm not sure about. Does all work have to be notified to a CPS? Or is minor works exempt from notifying as long as there's a MEIWC?

Notification is to the Local Building Control as may be required under building regulations Part P. You do this either yourself personally, or via the CPS. Some minor works will also need building approvals. Easy to look up on line what's affected :)

Reply to What am I Qualified to do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net