Discuss What conduit for pond filter flex? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sebjf

Hello,

I have a pond filter, that has a short (3-4m) run of flex to a junction box, and I want to protect it, but can't decide on the best conduit. The flex will be discreet but not buried, and will run with the hoses from the filter across a flowerbed. (It's at risk of boots & hand trowels, but not spades or backhoes...)

My first instinct was plastic covered steel conduit like this: Adaptaflex Liquid Resistant Covered Steel Conduit 16mm x 10m Black | Flexible Conduit | screwflix..com
But I'm worried about corrosion.

There is corrugated PVC conduit: Adaptaflex Standard Weight Nylon Conduit 16mm x 10m Black | Flexible Conduit | screwflix..com
Which I've seen people recommend for burying, but I've only used it indoors.

Then there's this type: 20mm Electroflex Conduit 30M
Which, just based on my feelings after handling both, *seems* more resilient than the PVC above, but am not sure how strong it is really. (I've only used it as a hose that had to keep its shape when run under stone.)

I'd usually use armored cable, but that's not practical here and I don't know what I can expect from the above without a layer of earth to protect them.

Can anyone tell me whats good/not good for this?

SJ

316 Stainless Kopex is a thing of beauty but it costs an absolute arm and a leg.

I assume this is the flex cable that comes pre-fitted to the filter thing. I'd just use some class 6 irrigation pipe TBH. It's LDPE (low density polyethylene) so it's good for sunshine and rain etc. class 6 is fairly thick walled so it will protect against rodents and small trowels etc but dogs may still be a problem. You can also bury LDPE pipe as well if you change your mind about running surface and it's cheap and easy to work with cause it's more flexible than PVC conduit. We often use LDPE pipe as duct for much larger cables as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes this is the flex that comes with the filter.

I like the look of that stainless steel RoB! But :eek: I had to check I wasn't looking at the price for another filter :D

Course if it really is the best for this its what I'll use, but so far I'm leaning towards irrigation pipe. It looks sturdy and I've got a lot of confidence in it since you've used it before and are still recommending it, Marvo.

Reply to What conduit for pond filter flex? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock