Discuss What determines your rates? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

voltvoltvolt

Hi,

what determines an electricians rates, living in London.
What points would you say distinguishes those earning £25/hour and those earning £50/hour?

Suppose it's what people are willing to pay you, balanced against what you need to earn to keep your head above the water and making a comfortable living for yourself.

No point having a high hourly rate with no work, equally no point in having lots of work with very little profit. You could work for Pimlico Electrics :)

Add all your costs, add working rate on top. What the market will bear. I like to think of myself as reassuringly expensive. Bear in mind the big boys will be charging £100 p.h. plus V.A.T. So there is a niche market for the individual/firm to get in lower and still save the client money. Most domestic are skint, they just can not afford the rate. I tend to work in areas of greater affluence as this is not so much a problem however most domestic are struggling for cash as I do as a domestic so I am not decrying anyone here.

I do remeber when wiring houses in London many moons ago we had a set price for the average property. Work increased so much we could not keep up. We decided to double the price. That choked off the work to a managable level and we were getting a better rate of pay. So very much up to the market demand.

I do remeber when wiring houses in London many moons ago we had a set price for the average property. Work increased so much we could not keep up. We decided to double the price. That choked off the work to a managable level and we were getting a better rate of pay. So very much up to the market demand.

What do these big boys offer differently to grant them to charge such a rate?

Hi,

what determines an electricians rates, living in London.
What points would you say distinguishes those earning £25/hour and those earning £50/hour?

I can't imagine many sparks are "earning" £50 per hour.

At 37.5 hours per week, 44 weeks per year, this equates to £82500 per year, so at £25 per hour it would equate to £41250 per year....

Why do you ask?

What do these big boys offer differently
They have fleets of vans and workers, premises and so on, none of which I have. My overheads are lower. And people often want the assurance of a big company who have to charge accordingly.

Reply to What determines your rates? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock