Discuss what do you charge for fuel? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi everyone, hope you all had a good week! or if your working tommorow then unlucky!! lol

putting a bill in on monday and its all gonna be itemised, asside from my hourly rate ive got a diesel bill of £30, (would be £50 on a full week), do you guys charge this to your customer? i think i should charge it but not sure what the norm is?

rich

Good question Sparkyork. I think I would personally not bother as it is a fact of life that we have to travel to work these days (whatever our job). I would just absorb it unless subbying and you have negotiated a mileage allowance or similar.

yeah but im still unsure! im a typical tight arsed yorkshireman!!

its just with it been £50 quid on a full week, cant quite bring me self to just right it off, i know works work and im grateful ive got the job n all that but when you starting digging deeper then it lowers my hourly rate by £1.40!!

rich

yeah i have made £75 on the materials this week so it will balance it out i suppose on future materials orders etc!

its like when i go do a job for someone thats only gonna take a couple of hours, then straight away before i start the job i allow £10 for diesel whether its 5 miles away or 25 miles.

rich

im currently charging £20 per hour, but im thinking of putting it up in the next few months.

london luke, im inclined to agree with you most definately! things is ive already told the client the hourly rate which doesnt include fuel costs. and although im making 10% on materials i dont get that in cash (ive gotta spend it at the wholsalers), so i guess ill just have to see what he says to me bill on monday!

Sparkyork,,

I do 20% on materials min,, covers the little extras that pop up,,
cheers onit

evening all, I have been doing some work for a firm that does insurance work i.e, call outs to flooding etc.

I charge tham millage at 40p per mile and they are happy with that. but I generally only charge them what materials have cost and dont really add anything to it.

I can travel upto 50 miles away for them and go asap when they ring. I would then charge them a half day rate wether there for half hor or a half day.

hope that helps a bit.

Whether you charge the customer directly or not, when it comes to time for submitting accounts, you can have 40p per mile tax free, higher is taxed. It is well worth building the 40p a mile into your business accounts to maximise untaxed income for the business even if you include incidental expenses in your hourly rate.

I charge 40p per mile, as most of my work is well out of town.

I cant afford to absorb fuel costs and am also in business to make money. I charge £25 per hour and whack 40% on the gear. Like somone else said, we are not a bloody charity.

Stuff costs money. Fact of life

2p in pot !

cheers guys comments much appreciated.

im charging the fuel directly to him and he's happy with that.

just been talking to my mate tonight and he's saying exactly the same as you andy, im prettty new to this self employed malarkee and certain things are taking a while to sort out. my accountant said that he would look at all my fuel receipts and decide whether to charge mileage etc later on?

I specialize and tend to work for Antique dealers etc . So the clients are not poor .Due to the nature of the homes and the value of what i am working with (last week a pair of lamps worth £14K)

I charge £50 for the first hour and £40 each hour after.
You could not work in london for £20 a hour.

cheers luke, them lamps sound a bit scary (the dell boy scene comes to mind! lol)

im thinking of going upto 25 per hour soonish, and then see what happens after that. typical of the north south divide init with the price differences etc, or maybe im just not charging enough!!

rich

cheers luke, them lamps sound a bit scary (the dell boy scene comes to mind! lol)

im thinking of going upto 25 per hour soonish, and then see what happens after that. typical of the north south divide init with the price differences etc, or maybe im just not charging enough!!

rich

Over the last 20 years i have lost more than 100k due to not charging enough etc.
Now i charge for every last penny and i want min of 30% materials

Reply to what do you charge for fuel? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock