Discuss What drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee sparks

Hey all,

Im a training to become a fully quilified sparks and i wanted to know what drill type do i go for. Mainly for domestic purpose.

So general drilling, chaseing.
The main question i have, would be how important would a cordless or corded choice be.
In a domestic situation, how often would i need to depend on a good cordless drill? Could i get away with using a good corded one?

Sorry for being brief, but wanted some feedback before i waste money on a drill i might not need.

Cheers.

Lee

I have a makita 18V combi drill and drill driver, got them both as a birthday present from the boss and it was about ÂŁ300. Can't fault them, never let me down and the battery life is brilliant.

http://www.*************/prods/50393/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Makita-18V-Li-Ion-Combi-Drill - That's the drill that i have but it has a little LED on it.

The SDS drill I have is a 2kg Makita one, I can't find it on the screwfix website but it takes a battering and has never let me down.

Best place to go is Screwfix. It's got good deal's on and if there is ever a problem with your drill they swap it no problems.

And Cordless drill's are key, use mine all the time

IMO, for domestic, you need a drill with rotary stop for chiselling. cordless are not up to a lot of this and for much less money than a decent cordless, buy a makita 240v or 110v and tranny. and get a decent 18v for small jobs. when you got a ÂŁ300 to spare , get a 24v sds as well

Ideally you want to get yourself 2 drills really, one for general drilling and driving, and another one for chasing and heavy duty drilling.
I picked up a Dewalt 18v combi drill half price at screwfix, B and Q were also doing the same offer for ÂŁ99, it has been absolutely brilliant and i have already got my monies worth out of it.
I also bought a cheap titan sds drill from screwfix when i first started out purely for chasing, it was around ÂŁ69 and came with a generous set of drill bits and chisels, 8 years later it is still working perfectly and has taken a lot of abuse ! I have since picked up a more expensive bosch one, and keep my trusty old Titan as a spare.

Dont buy 240v tools, you will only regret it when you get a decent job and you cart use them :/

But yeah if your chasing all the time get a decent 110v drill with the chisel bit

Probably a stupid question but why would you prefer a 110v drill in the UK if the standard supply voltage is230v?

Safety...Sites only allow 110v, for health and safety. 110v between the two current carrying conductors, and only 55v to earth. Alot safer than 230v to earth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I'm not at first year apprentice level so I didn't know :)
Does every power tool have it's own transformer or is the site specially supplied with a110v supply for the contractors during the build?

makita 18v lxt... need i say more?

For sure...

Makita-LXT202.gif

The Makita LXT202 is a wicked set, not the cheapest but you do get what you pay for... If your gear is going to get a hammering every day then usually going cheaper turns out to be a false economy.

Reply to What drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net