Discuss What ECS Card for Improver? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone knows what kind of ECS Card I need to work as Electrical Improver. What is the colour, title on card and what qualifications?
I went to college and completed my level 3, did 17th Edition. I am also working on my NVQ level 3 and recently passed AM2 assessment. I have 3 years experience in both domestic and commercial and a lot of tools.
I applied for a job as an Improver but they told me I can only work as a Labourer/Operative for them as I have a white card (Trainee Electrician - stage 1).
Plese, help

Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone knows what kind of ECS Card I need to work as Electrical Improver. What is the colour, title on card and what qualifications?
I went to college and completed my level 3, did 17th Edition. I am also working on my NVQ level 3 and recently passed AM2 assessment. I have 3 years experience in both domestic and commercial and a lot of tools.
I applied for a job as an Improver but they told me I can only work as a Labourer/Operative for them as I have a white card (Trainee Electrician - stage 1).
Plese, help
Send off your qualifications to the jib under the ecs card scheme.
Only they can grade you and decide what card you can have.
A health and safety assessment is also part of the application.

He may mean C&G levels 2&3 as he states he is working on his NVQ now.
NVQ is evidence of practical skills combined with the theory of the C&G 236,2330 or whatever it's morphed into now.
Well he's best bet is to speak to the JIB he has nothing to loose most of us electricians on here have probably come from the C& G AM2 route updating with 17th.

Speak to your employer about what you're worth (trial period?), my ECS card says I'm an electrical labourer but I get paid more than the JIB Gold card holders due to work ethic. So many lazy people out there that expect good wages because they paid for a qualification!

Thanks. Ive just got the reply. Surprisingly quickly but it didn't satisfy me. Thus is what they sent me:

Unfortunately we are unable to provide grading via email or over the telephone. Please submit an application form (available to download via our website at: www.ecscard.org.uk/Card-Types ) with copies of all your electrical certificates, any references or job descriptions on company letter headed paper, a passport sized photograph and a payment of £48 (£40+VAT) and our Grading Committee will assess your application and issue you the appropriate grade and card.

Not very helpful.

Hi. I am working part-time as a electrician mate. I have an ECS card. I am using an Ancillary Operative with brown strip. Did not have any problem accessing building sites. All they care if posses that card. It could depends of which building sites you want to work, the more prestigious company the more requirements they have. The test is quite easy pretty much the same what is in booklet/pdf file.

Reply to What ECS Card for Improver? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net