Discuss What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

alas no motorcycles used total loss lubrication up to the late 20s
you will see a small pump on the tank with a glass window
as you crest a hill and extra pump is required to prevent seizure
of course nowadyas my motorcycle is EFI with catalytic convertor adn euro 3 compliant but I still have to pay 74 quid a year road tax whereas my daughters Citroen C1 to the same power costs 20 quid
damm and curse it

Chartered Mechanical Engineer with loads of genset experience with field distribution
Health and Safety Advisor
TQ Practitioner (hence MCS was a walk in the park)
Technical documentation author
Qualled up to 1500bar on hydraulic systems
plus the ususal array of other skills required to run a multi-skilled workforce in a hostile environment
Downhill ski instructor
Snowboard instructor
BSAC assistant instructor
Can also make a mean cup of tea................. :)

Basically every one has a background with transferrable skills, with what I had done previous, plumbing would have been the easy option, but I like a challenge. Domestic installer was the only route in for me, done it passed with ease and still learning. I know where to draw the line and enjoy the work I do. Ive been fault finding on elctrical and electronic systems since I was an apprentice and would probably rate some of the DC systems more daunting than 230AC domestic.

Just remember the regs make no mention of qualified, just competant. Quals are just one method of prooving competance as is doing a good job. Ive been through 3 ELECSA Assessments without worry or hassle, mist be getting something right.

Transferable skills now thats the phrase!! I am a sparky by trade but work on a shift as a maintenance anything. Transferable skills and exposure to different situations as an apprentice ie locomotives, haulage systems, offices, ventilation systems. All of this gives experience that allows me to be more than just a maintenance electrician. I can now apply it to being a domestic or commercial electrician.
I work with quality engineers, group leaders, managers and I would say all of them, with intensive trining, could become a domestic spark. Do they want to be a spark? No. But they more than have the maturity and intelligence to achieve that goal. They also have qualities that are better than mine, maybe attention to detail, they make a tidier job. They would bring this to the vocation.
Going back to the origianal post yes a domestic installer is an electrician and I would say in a lot of senses a craft electrician would be a good title.

Downhill ski instructor
Snowboard instructor
Can also make a mean cup of tea................. :)

these are the most important qualifications
FUN and the ability to enjoy life
I went to a lecture once by Sir Anthony Quayle the actor
thought it would be right boring
instead he told us all about his time with SOE and the partisans
wow
and he said doing something dangerous is good for you
it gives you a sense of perspective into what is really important in life
Competent person as defined by BS7671
not law but the HS at work act is and would use this as a judgement
a person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken, and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others

Are you serious?? ****, elbow etc etc <- make a well know saying that could be applied to these two !

Never going to happen, they like to make things as confusing as possible!!

lol

It is really irrelevant what you call yourself. The LAW, i.e. The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, state that persons need to be competent. It does not state that a person can only be competent if they call themselves an "Electrician".

With regards to Domestic Installers being 4 week wonders I have found in my own experience them to often be more competent than some people who have been calling themselves "Electricians" for years. It doesn't matter what you call yourself it matters what you do.

It is really irrelevant what you call yourself. The LAW, i.e. The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, state that persons need to be competent. It does not state that a person can only be competent if they call themselves an "Electrician".

With regards to Domestic Installers being 4 week wonders I have found in my own experience them to often be more competent than some people who have been calling themselves "Electricians" for years. It doesn't matter what you call yourself it matters what you do.

Are you actually being serious here??

cough....

cough....
icon6.png

icon7.png

4 week wonders have often been in the job for 20 years...done most of it...
some....not.
0 week wonders are worse

What are you saying here, ...That these guys waited 20 years, then suddenly decide to get qualified by taking C&G courses ??

20 years ago they probably would have got free or highly subsidised tuition, these days your talking several thousand pounds. And these days they will come out at the end of these courses, not knowing enough to wire a dolls house safely!!!

And No, ....i don't blame these 4 week wonder guys, i blame the system that allowed these tuition scams, and are still allowing them to continue. I blame the scam providers for accepting them into there scheme's with minimalist assessment procedures, with little or no concern for there customers who they will be practising on, because most of these guys will be going out there with Zero experience....

Transferable skills now thats the phrase!! I am a sparky by trade but work on a shift as a maintenance anything. Transferable skills and exposure to different situations as an apprentice ie locomotives, haulage systems, offices, ventilation systems. All of this gives experience that allows me to be more than just a maintenance electrician. I can now apply it to being a domestic or commercial electrician.
I work with quality engineers, group leaders, managers and I would say all of them, with intensive trining, could become a domestic spark. Do they want to be a spark? No. But they more than have the maturity and intelligence to achieve that goal. They also have qualities that are better than mine, maybe attention to detail, they make a tidier job. They would bring this to the vocation.
Going back to the origianal post yes a domestic installer is an electrician and I would say in a lot of senses a craft electrician would be a good title.
Does sound a bit twee though doesn`t it?...I mean "craft electrician" HMmm......

Reply to What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net