Discuss What is a 'dwelling'? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Kin hell it must be grim working in the Hotel trade! If I was one of the poor sods I think I might call it home, but maybe not electrically.

2. sparksburnout

OK, well worded. In the case you have very eloquently outlined above, I would get my trainers on and look for less stressful and financially secure jobs. When you are not a fledgling business, as you put it, you won't give this sort of opportunity house room.......

3. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Without teaching you how to suck eggs, don't lose sight of the fact that you are running a business not a charity, be very careful about how you are paid for work and materials on this one and don't undertake more work labour wise than you can afford to lose! In my limited experience when someone tells you they haven't got a pot to **** in,it's usually because they haven't got a pot to **** in!:)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    How often have I heard "...I can't afford that..." I think I would start by offering an EICR which would highlight the problems in a rational and logical way. I usually offer to deduct the cost of an EICR from any repair work arising from the condition report. From there you can work out a schedule of repairs replacements and costings. It costs what it costs. If the person is running a business they either bite the bullet or not. I guess from what you have described that the condition of unseen wiring is probably bad as well. So sure you can patch and mend but really it can be as near as expensive as a rewire. You could fix a load of apparent problems and miss a serious one and guess who is going to be blamed? A condition report will give you a truer idea of what this "poison chalice" of work offer is really about and a better idea of how to proceed and advise. You will better know the condition of the cabling unseen and pick up stuff that is not apparent visually. Just saying in order to stimulate ways to look at it all. After all who knows the client may get the money once she has a definite goal to find figure wise?
    In any event from what you are describing if she has been advised regards defects there is a legal obligation on her from EAWR and HSA to maintain equipment and electrical installation items in a safe condition. At least if you as a professional tell her what exactly is wrong she can be seen to be taking the right steps toward understanding and resolving these responsibilities and acting in a manner compliant with law and regs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. snowhead

snowhead Trusted Advisor

Unless it's for a Holiday or new ipad or new car or new clothes...

View attachment 35192

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Good question about the fire alarm & el's #sparkychick shame no1 has answered you on that. As far as im aware periodically testing of fire alarms and el's can be undertaken by any competant person which is insured to work on such systems, obviously a sound understanding/experience and courses would help to demonstrate your competancy in such work. This is a part of work that most sparks will stumble accross when on site doing other works and for the customer often much easier to have one trade person/team undertaking eicr/el's/fire alarm at the same time.

7. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

See #12.

8. bigspark17

Says nothing about what anybody needs to carry out periodic inspection of fire alarms or el's!!

9. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

OP stated not being fully conversant with the requirements this is why I suggested this.

10. sparksburnout

Says the man on his mega pension........

11. bigspark17

Ok so if she was competant to do would insurance to do so liability/indemnity all shed need?

12. sparksburnout

Blimey now a SHED is involved in a hotel post, you just can't get away from them.

• Like Like x 3
  13. bigspark17

No informative input to the question ozzy!

14. sparksburnout

Well I did make some constructive comments earlier on, just trying to lighten the mood.
    BTW if we are being spikey could you proof read #31 I think the Welsh/English translator has gone a bit berserk!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    I did say I'd post an update with building controls view on the matter.

Having spoken with the building control team at Cardiff about this, from their perspective it is a commercial property and is exempt from notifications.

• Like Like x 3